My first glass aquarium in two years,a moderately eutrophic system.

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My first glass aquarium in two years,a moderately eutrophic system.

Post  finfan on 3rd November 2011, 2:22 pm

Wow - firstly its a shame about the clown attack, some nice stock lost, but hey its gets you out to find others and man you did that!

How awesome is that shrimp and that damsel...... I want one. Without giving away too much', can the shrimp be found like the peppermints ?

Good work

Very Happy
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 4th November 2011, 3:39 am

No the that particular lysmata is only in semi pristeen waters and is a dedicated cleaner shrimp which means they have no defences at all,so they realy on clear water and eels,hence our name for them,eel cleaner shrimp and a biggy is urchins for defence,which they loose at night as the urchins go off to feed so thatís why there are four spots in 20 to 45 feet where they are always and they are some where I wouldnít tell any one,to easy to get and not easy to find,unless by accident,like it was for me a long time ago.

The protection, the lack of swell and the current dispersal of them has them always there, take one and two months time another is there from planktonic dispersal, they are little at just two months, but they grow fast and I always leave some to partner up and help protect the other as it sheds,though they are both sexes in one so they take turns normally,but its good to leave one to help the other as they need the others sperm anyway to breed.

Then hormones they excrete during and upon each shed brings in the munchies, so with out eels in the shallow spots, they wouldnít stand a chance!!!!

They are mostly common at 70 to 120 feet and with less cover as the big fish protect them there,in the shallows you look for a solid structure, not coffe rock, a vertical or horizontal crack of depth for escape and width that is hard to be attacked with in,it has to have sea urchins and a large eel at the swell protected side of a reef in waters from 15 feet down to 40 normally.

They take a lot of bobbing around to find when there is no reference of position to work from,but i like that part of it,lots of cardio no impact excercise.

The starkis are doing well the next morning after collection,feeding and swimming with the others.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza on 4th November 2011, 4:14 am

Beautiful damsels,man if they are harmless ,Iím calling the shop to put in an order,never herd of a harmless damsel cheers

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 20th November 2011, 4:51 am

They are top fish mate,not that common in the shops these days though,i tried to find them in the shops,but no luck so i went and collected some.

A new not so good thing happening to the tank.

The NWMS that is the end of the cycle of cleaning my water has been handed a nasty blow to its affectedness by me!

Through laziness or overly confidant, I introduced a serious pest to the miracle working macro algaeís and is eating the soft corals as well.

This came from me collecting some more macro algae and not quarantining it and washing it before placing it in the algae area and than into the tank.

The signs were all there that it was in the algae area,but I missed them and put some of the new macro algae into the tank as well.

The Dacron barrier would have kept it all at bay if I had noticed it was in there.

This life form eats all macro algae; the robust form of caulerpa that is a serious pest in other parts of the world and only arrived in Moreton bay in more recent times that I though was indestructible has all but been devoured as well!

Once this none soft coral eating life form gets to a adult size, it than starts on the soft corals to eat the algae with in its cells and than onto the hard corals as well, the algae area has no macro algae left, just a little tries to get going and is eaten.

The only option now has been to introduce some cyano algae to keep up with nutrient removal, as it is toxic to these pests, sadly cyano removes all nutrient, but provides only oxygen mostly as a bi product of waste removal unlike macro that makes all needed trace elements, other than calcium and magnesium for all inverts to utilise.

So far only one hard coral has suffered so its back to water changes for a time until I work out what I want to do about this pest!!!

After all the trouble this thing caused i lost all three soft corals and a few stags and some of the xenia,what a mistake!!

Last edited by liquidg on 5th May 2012, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 12th December 2011, 9:11 am

Thats truley looks amazing - I think the colour is so great, those orange sponges look excellent as does everthing in that tank.

Good to see you have the NWMS sorted out from that pest - and that you are needing to cut back on some due to growth, that is so good and a credit to your work !

Keep those reports coming in - its always great to see the changes and read the updates - thanks....

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 12th December 2011, 1:00 pm

Its strange,5 days ago I put the scolymia back in and two small stags, not my favourites, start bleaching like last time i put it in there.

The algae I must admit is not up to par yet for serious chemical filtering but I had no idea this species was this poisonous to others,weird,oh well its out now and hopefully the two stags affected will recover and I wont put any more scoly back in!

I want to try an acropora I have never kept before and itís waiting in a tub, has been there for while now, so I want to try it as I have never been able to keep it before beyond a week or two, wanting to experiment is taking over again,lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 31st December 2011, 2:27 pm

An interesting and not overly unexpected situation is happening in the tank, the light hitting the sunburst coral has shown some predictable results.

The original sunburst coral from 6 months back I moved slightly into the light as it had been damaged by the blennies, the result was severe burns and death of the exposed polyps and this is under LEDs with no UVR.

The coral is actually doing very well, not where it was in the light or where the fish could get to it, that part is now a skeleton, but at the rear, out of the light, the polyps have multiplied very quickly and that area is very healthy.

Goes to show how easy this coral is to feed if done properly and how susceptible they are to any direct light, oh and my weird blennies.

Last edited by liquidg on 29th January 2012, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 4th January 2012, 1:19 pm

This is the tank as of the 4th of January 2012

I lost three little stags from the pest that I stupidly let into my tank and NWMS,plus I had to give away my two soft corals and the scolymia,they were poisoning others with no algae support.

Its all powering again now,the xenia has grown back all the other corals came out of the attack realy well by those pests and I have put in three more stags as replacements and two of them have been put at the base of the aquarium to see what the LEDs will do to them so deep in the tank, never get sick of experimenting.

Two more fish have jumped out,the mimic tang chases them,I wont get those species again, its just wasting life collecting them for my tank, my design flaw, not enough tank above the water line to keep them in and I keep forgetting to put the mesh lid on I made,all my fault!

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 5th January 2012, 12:26 pm

Just some more on the system now its back to working great and some!

This is one of many peps that live deep inn the algae I see some times pop up through the thick carpet of caulerpa.

The purple acro stag as with two others are most of the time covered in waving xenia, donít let any one tell you xenia is a problem to acropora.
The current has been switched off so it can be seen better.

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 20th January 2012, 2:39 pm

These are two corals growing into each other and look a little like they are melting into the other and taking on a mix of the two colours where they are moulding into each other.

Just thought I would put something about the sea lettuce going nuts in my tank,as with all algae,it does not do well at depths greater than 10 inches into the water,as usual.

It will grow deeper, but not in abundance!

This is it still in the tank in one area, its in all the first ten inches of tank area.

The area once it is trimmed.

The trimmings of the lettuce in hand.

Last edited by liquidg on 30th May 2014, 12:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Crotalus on 21st January 2012, 8:31 am

Brilliant tank, love the roller substrate thing you did. Do you collect sea water and if so, do you find interesting recruitment of benthic life showing up in your tank?

Crotalus

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 21st January 2012, 10:01 am

Once I have cycled and matured the external bio filter, with out the tank connected at all, just running off a tub of fresh ocean water originally and regularly added large amounts varied dead tissue for varied ammonias, soon once the bacteria has done its bit, the protists have now wiped out the bacteria and taken over the nitrite cycle, during this time I was doing a bit of work on the tank like gluing in all the rollers to the bottom of the tank and than added the dead coral (dry),you know getting it ready to add water with no life in there of any kind!!!!

After that I get varied benthic invertebrates via shell grit from depths raising it to the boat with water and pore it into a colander and shake the rubble grit around with a slight amount of marine rubbish going through the colander with all the benthics than pore the shell grit/rubble back over the side.

Also once each month or so I go and find a certain patch of algae that is always bellow the lowest tide, very gently gather it into a bucket and shake the bucket quite roughly and pore the water through the colander.

These ways I get fresh planktonic creatures, so far good ones, and plenty of benthic inverts and I turn over rocks (always put them the right way back ) to expose varied sponges and scrape some off and take them home and push them between the dead coral (boiled and bleached corals) that is my complete tank dead rock structure, very much live rock now.

These things seed my tank with so much life its amazing, the back and between the dead rock is no longer dead rock, its superior to live rock with no crabs or mantis or what ever getting in the tank!

My favourite of late has been collecting Ascidians of many types and push them in between the dead rock, they have some nice colours,good for tank as well!!

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 29th January 2012, 12:01 pm

Algae trimming

More good results, the algae area of the NWMS has been at the trimming stage twice now and everything is powering, the corals have recovered totally, sadly I lost three stags, the weakest ones near the centre that received weakest lighting went down.

This is the algae area in full bloom, the pest is still in the tank and the pre filter is holding them at bay, so far so good!

Algae ready to trim

Trimming algae

Trimmed algae

Hot water to kill algae and reintroduce it for use of nutrients.

Neatly trimmed algae area

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza on 30th January 2012, 12:21 pm

liquidg wrote:

Hey liquid,how well does this coral go for you?
I would like some,yet lots say it is to hard,is yours okay and if it is okay,what should i do if i go hit the lfs for some?

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 3rd February 2012, 2:09 pm

I have two in the tank; this one is the most visible,they are both doing wonderfully now I am rid of that pest.

Feeding them is best via lots of little feeds and as many as you can manage after dark and algae controled waters are very condusive to long term coral health.

This type of food and some very helpful things to do for natural food sources for these types of corals that do not feed via photosynthesis at all is to collect your own, have a look at this link.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post  ianqld on 4th February 2012, 2:27 am

Looking great.
Just getting better and better. I know who's technique I'm going to be copying when I reset my tanks up. cheers
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 4th February 2012, 12:54 pm

Thanks ianqld,it took alot of mistakes to get it right mate.

When i get some time i am going to make an under tank version that fits into the cupboard/stand so it doesnít have to be seen and is quiet and carries out the NWMS that it is, I donít want it, just making it so others may use the same way or copy a bit of it here and there or even develop their own version, now that would be cool!

The system I made was for multiple tanks to go well with no water changes and very high quality conditions.

It will take some work and a lot of wasted glass, but i will take pics of each bit and draw up proper plans so any one can build it and get the results a little better than the ocean its self.

The most condemned part of what I use by that lot, (you know who) is the algae and how I have found it is best used to achieve wonderful results, oh and the way I house the bio community, what were the comments back than,(old school useless trickle filter) (algae doesnít do that) amazing!!

The old school shop bought trickles were rubbish, they were a monetary rip off, I donít use that type of thing and the algae does far more than that lot can ever comprehend!!

The one I will make will consist of a roll out style filter for maintenance and very simple pre filters, not a big ugly thing like mine, yet the results from it may be slightly better than the one i have now, I have a couple of other ideas for the unde tank one to make it function a lot better than the one I have now.

Time is hard now, work is very busy and my spare time in the last two weeks went to pics and explanation of how to make the hand nets we use that will be available to club members that want help on how to make them easily soon.

Ian,there is one of many things with the algae that has to be done, that every one that has not played with this wont understand, the algae gets trimmed once a week and the trimmings go into tap strength hot water for a while to kill the algae trimmings but not explode the cells, it just needs to be killed so it will rot and release all elements and not keep growing.

As it rots there is a nitrite cycle of course, but the nitrogen produced assists the algae in element production and keeping the cells intact for when it breaks down, the photosynthesised waste to valuable elements are still with in and is released into the water as bacteria breaks the cellulose down at the start of the killed algaeís nitrite cycle!

I hope your life up north goes well mate, keep in touch and w need lots of dive pics,lol,lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 5th February 2012, 2:38 pm

A few months back I thought I had lost three acropora stags to the introduced pest from me stupidly forgeting to wash collected caulerpa,the one I put behind the xenia to die and become a little live rock for the xenia to grow onto lived after all.

I turned the return pump off the other day to clean the pre filter as usual and noticed that there was colour behind the xenia as it collapsed with out the current to support it.

There was the red stag with red, green and purple colours thriving and fully recovered, amazing,I thought I would loose it for sure!

I liked it as well, glad it survived, it was very hard to get in the surge zone of a near by sunshine coast reef a long swim from shore.

While looking at this, I noticed some more changes in some of the zoas,some are adopting an orange centre with ever increasing purple and green outer edge, the last time I used algae in this way I got 7 variations from the one type of zoanthids.

There are thousands in the tank now, some I have to inject with Metho to stop them from covering the corals.

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 5th February 2012, 2:46 pm

WOW -that looks awesome....

What a great thing to discover, not only has it survived but it powering back in full colour -so good....and those zoas are the type of colour I dream off (sad really) Razz ......

Looks great mate!!
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Zoanthid removal from acropora.

Post  liquidg on 19th February 2012, 8:41 am

A little while back I had the need for some zoas removal that were growing over a favourite stag acropora.

I injected them as you do for Aiptasia and it didnít work,they reacted badly but did not die so I injected them with metholated spirits,that got them.

The needle for injection you buy as sharps from the chemist.

The area before injections.

The zoas starting to die.

The acropora area cleared of the purple ones.

Last edited by liquidg on 19th February 2012, 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

New latezonatus amphiprions for the reef tank.

Post  liquidg on 19th February 2012, 8:51 am

Two new young latz i caught for the tank are doing very nicely and all get on well with the pair i have had in the tank for quite a while now.

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 26th February 2012, 10:57 am

A new experiment for me with the use of the NWMS, about time,I was getting a bit bored!

This is a trial more so of what I already know will happen, but I have to be sure and i do not follow the ones from past experiences who use the terms and words that should know and have not actually carried out extensive trials as is with most.

If it is said,I try it out to see if it does work, even my own ideas, they are just ideas until tried over 6 months to two years!

The two tubs I use consist of 130 litres of water content, not including what is in the aerobic (wet only) filter, no skimmer back up or anything else, just pre filter sock and a substantial shell grit wet section.

The experiment is to take the two buckets each week out as I do normally of the tubs as a water change, but now I am taking out two buckets from the display tanks NWMS and exchange the buckets to each system.

Then water change for the tubs is now from the NWMS,four times now over the last month I have done this and the results in the display each time are.

The xenia collapses and the corals polyps close for the whole day, the next day everything is back to normal, this is what I was expecting, the NWMS is removing (importing) and oxidising the unwanted substances and excreting (exporting),harmless carbons and valuable elements as it always does!

Time will tell, I will give it 6 months and that will be enough to show the system copes with a great deal, as I expected it to.

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 18th March 2012, 12:53 pm

When I started the tank, not long after that I put in an anemone crab that lived in the xenia.

When the pest mowed down heaps of the xenia I thought it had died,that was a few months back.

Two days ago it appeared again and yesterday it was hitching a ride of the biscuit sea star, this is it, but twice the size I put it in at.

Back to top Go down

Post  sjastor on 1st April 2012, 3:35 pm

Hey liquid

I thought you would have some photos of the clams that I swapped for your blue tangs by now in this journal.
By the way, the tangs are great, would love more fish but not sure what is best to go with the tangs.
Did the clams go okay, I was hoping you would have more luck with then I did.
Barry called, the guy I bought the tank off, he was asking how the clams went that were in the tank, I didnít have the heart to tell him I killed two of them before I swapped the rest to you. Embarassed
Please tell me they are okay!

sjastor

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 2nd April 2012, 3:45 pm

Here are some pics of them in the algae area.

They are just 2 inches under the water here and there are lots of planktonic life forms in the area so they should do really well, so far they are thriving.

I do not feed this area at all.

As long as I keep the algae from growing over them, they should grow and live in there for years.

How are the fish I swapped with you, that school of blue surgeons, did it work out?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top