My new 4ft

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My new 4ft

Post  finfan on 20th September 2011, 7:45 am

Hi All,

As mentioned previously, though I may post up some pics and let all see the start (for me) and growth - both good and bad.... I'm sure most of the experienced guys will have seen this many times before - but to me it all very new and fun ! I enjoy snorkelling around the bayside and outer waters so collecting is high on the list of things to do up north were its permitted. Had a look around some more popular spots on the weekend to get some ideas of fish locally - Tangalooma has some awesome stuff to look at and get ideas from.... so do other areas a bit closer to me in Redland Bay. Bring on the good weather.

Anyway here are some progress pics to date - please feel free to offer advice, recommendations or just comments - good or bad, I am not doing this by the book but with all the information out there it hard to decide - so trial and error it is - with informed decisions.....

Week 2 - The first rock

Week 3 - A little more rock with life

Week 3 - The whole tank - sorry about the crap shot....

Week 6 - Left side end

Week 6 - Middle

Week 6 - Right side end

So this is to date -

Caught a small wrasse and gobbie on Sunday - so now the tank has
2 x Small Blue tangs
1 x Cleaner wrasse
1 x Tamar (local) - need to be returned - long story
3 x Prawns with white boxing gloves (local)
1/2 a Clown wrasse (he is very sick looking) - doesnt look good for the poor fellow, but he is a fighter....
1 x new gobbie (no idea what it is)
1 x new wrasse (no idea either)

Next purchase will be a good book on all Fish and Corals - open to any suggestions

More pics to follow as time goes by....thanks for looking

Last edited by Ignobolis on 9th November 2011, 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total

finfan

Back to top Go down

Re: My new 4ft

Post  Dazza on 20th September 2011, 12:04 pm

Except for a little extra nutrient caused algae, it looks good.
The caulerpa has some not so good algae streaming off it.
Maybe a weak skimmer is in place or apply a better water change routine may help.
Maybe some extra live rock in there, some extra surface area out of the light might help down the track.
Do you have photos of the fish you donít know the names of?

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 20th September 2011, 1:56 pm

I would like to see a pic or two of the fish/inverts you donít know names of as well mate.

Personally I do not build systems based on live rock and skimmers, not for a long time now.

They do a job, donít get me wrong, more so for the compact/boutique aquarium system, I just donít like the lack of longevity and the opposite to robustness with them.

Sorry to be a pain mate but a substrate is another place in the aquarium that eventually houses detritus.

A substrate also attracts white spot issues at the start or in time, these live with in the once named group (protozoan or protozoa), these varieties mostly graze on the bacteria types that oxidise most of the nitrite cycle in the tanks early days in particular.

White spot is part of the protozoan group, they exist best in substrates or we introduce them, no matter what you do when they sense stress from your fish, they are there, that is if the tank is bio active, of course if it wasnít your fish would be dead.

To use live rock I would have used a sealed glass box set up where the live rock will sit to avoid it creating a dirty dead spot in your substrate in the compressed sand, shell grit,etc.

Once your live rock builds some coralline coverage, this will seal up some of your bio filtering potential area on the rock as will anything covering it that was not there upon maturing.

The talk is that your sand-grit will become full of life, thatís true and this, will help bind it together into a gas-producing lump, the life filled substrate was talked about back in the eighties a well.

Mate your tank will be fine, you can add so much in relation remote extras if you have a decent exit to a sump, something well built and added on will help fix any problems that will come along, very slowly, over time.

Start planning a build of a home made remote nitrate reactor and algae area, these will save your tank down the track

Its just I have just seen it so many times with substrates that are not kept clean and the water quality slips away over 6 months to 2 years normally, the tank just misses that bench mark it could have reached!

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate on 21st September 2011, 2:47 am

Getting on the forum is a short escape from school holidays Crying or Very sad
I like the way you are scaping the live rock and the little blue tangs are sweet
I havenít been game to try them yet with white spot concerns have yours been infected at all
bounce

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 21st September 2011, 4:28 am

Hi All

Thanks for the replies - its great to get feed back and some good advise.

Dazza - yes that algae is not good, its creeping onto the coral in the corner, I can manually remove it but I wasnt sure of the best long term approach ? In the tank I use an old wooden air stone skimmer turned on randomly - no science behind why ? I use a Marisys 2 for filteration the new one with a overflow box into a sump type thing underneath the Tank, this has a venturie skimmer as well, although it is smaller than the one in the tank, there is also 2 power heads a 1600 and 2400 lpm pushing the water around randomly

Liquidg -I hear you bro, the sand/fine coral was not a good idea now I read up and learn - but I just love the look of it and the wrasse love to hide under it - thought I lost the cleaner for 2 days - but he was just sleeping in the sand. The calerpa and other green weed grows in it to which is cool - but maybe not a smart move either ? I will do more home work on the remote nitrate reactor ( I do have a The Sulphur Nitrate Reductor SN 400 is a convenient combination of sulphur nitrate reduction and Hydrocarbonate pH re-buffering in a convenient package for aquariums up to 100 gallons. An internal pump circulates the water through chambers containing sulphur beads and Hydrocarbonate. Specialized bacteria develop within the Sulphur Nitrate Reductor that utilize sulphur as an energy source to remove nitrate. As a by-product, sulphuric acid is produced which is neutralized by the Hydrocarbonate in the filter. Use the SP1500 dosing pump to provide consistent low flow rates for maximum efficiency! - Not sure if it is a good thing or not, time will tel ? I purchased this before meeting with this great site.....

Kate - Thanks for the comments - hope you are enjoying your holidays, I know my kids are - The Blue tangs are awesome - the white spot thing is only a matter of time I'm sure - all I can do is try to keep the tank healthy and prey....

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 1st October 2011, 4:18 pm

Sounds like some cool gear mate.

Now onto more important things,do you have some pics on your collecting,the more the merrier cheers

Back to top Go down

New Pics of Mystery Stuff - please explain ?

Post  finfan on 11th October 2011, 7:07 am

Here is some new stuff collected - I would be very interested on the thoughts and advise of the fish and rock, should they be kept ?

New Zoo

Mystery Fish or Wrasse

Nice Lobo going OK ?

Suspect rock thing.... ???

The Zoo's I previously had were yellow in the centre but have now turned totally brown over the past 2 weeks - is this a bad thing ?
Thanks

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza on 11th October 2011, 3:19 pm

Hey dude,the rock thing looks like an ascidian, if thatís what you mean with the xenia beside it.
The zoas turning is normally the lighting, sometimes water quality or sometimes foods used.
As long as they are open most of the time they are cool, I think they look good the ones you have.
Nice collecting by the looks of things cheers

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 12th October 2011, 6:26 am

I couldn't agree more,nice stuff!

The pic of the fish isn't quite clear enough to ID it though.

Ignobolis if you collected all of whats in those pics,you have done very well with that impressive catch.

If you can could you put some pics in the collecting section,but as per usual don't say where it comes from,just the adventure and collected stuff would be entertaining and interesting for us all to look at and read about.

Thanks!

Oh,i found a pic of the zoas i had in the other tank i made,they look very similar to yours.

Right hand side.

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 13th October 2011, 5:34 am

Zoas not Zoo Embarassed

Couldnt believe how many and were they are, so happy to have found them as I think they are very cool - I will see how the small cluster I have goes and if all is well I will collect some more. Hopefully some different colours.

The fish is a little bugger - he is all over the front of the tank even having a go at me when I am around it, but as soon as the camera comes out he hides under or in the rocks - he is some kind of wrasse I think ? I will try to get a better shot of him in time.

ascidian and xenia ah - thanks for the ID, very interesting once I looked them up - I am going out this weekend and will return them though, as I am not confident in them doing well- and I have enough brown stuff.... I want some colour

You tank looks amazing Liquidg - those sponges and colour is just awesome - must be great to sit and stare at for hours, or maybe thats just me...... Shocked

Updated shot - crap I know but its a phone so.....

The whole tank left to right

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan on 26th December 2011, 11:59 am

Today - what problem
Very Happy

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg on 27th December 2011, 1:23 am

My missus would have my doodads if i took up that much room with the hobby.

Looks good though.

look forward to seeing what goes in the other tanks over time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum