South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning rust and corrosion off metals with double strength vinegar.

Go down

Cleaning rust and corrosion off metals with double strength vinegar. Empty Cleaning rust and corrosion off metals with double strength vinegar.

Post  liquidg 19th May 2020, 2:41 pm

It also works really well if you use it on any metal really, like on a push bikes rusty bits or on a cheap stainless steel sink, anything really!

If it can't not be sat in the vinegar, it works fine by soaking some toilet paper or other tissue paper and placing that soaked tissue paper on the rusty section and re-aply the vinegar to those sections of toilet paper as it tries to dry for a couple of days, then the rust is destroyed and wipe it off.

I have used it for ages on my dive gear to get rid of rust and corrosion and my other way came from toilet paper soaked with hot water and detergent to soften and get flying fox poo off garage doors and cars, i just put the two ideas together and it has always worked well.

With the drill bits, there were a lot of years of rust on them!!
So the vinegar destroys the rust, but you have to clean it off as a sort of black film with detergent in hot water.
I use a steel brush and then a dustpan brush in that water, and then they end up like new!!  
Be aware the atmosphere can attack the steel again, so you should then apply thin oil like WD 40 and wipe off, then all good!
The bike needs that, the stainless doesn’t, but the drill bits most certainly do!
I used one of the larger bits on the fence post the day after the cleaning, I didn’t sharpen them as yet and the dam thing just powered through the hardwood timber, with my little 18volt battery drill??
Its like the vinegar left a sharp edge, lol, obviously not but it certainly didn’t harm the edge!

The bits soaking for 4 days
Cleaning rust and corrosion off metals with double strength vinegar. WgPAXij

The drill bits all cleaned up and ready to be used!
Cleaning rust and corrosion off metals with double strength vinegar. UYXCcmX

Cleaning rust and corrosion off metals with double strength vinegar. ULBWCRk

Back to top Go down