South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Feather worm from lfs

3 posters

Go down

Feather worm from lfs Empty Feather worm from lfs

Post  Kate 7th November 2011, 1:18 pm

Hey guys is there a shop in Bris where I can get a feather worm or tube worm not sure of the proper name on the weekend had no luck finding any Crying or Very sad
In the collecting part of the forums there are photos of these and from looking on google images these remind me of flowers very pretty
If I can find one what do they need to stay looking like a flower bounce

Kate

Back to top Go down

Feather worm from lfs Empty Re: Feather worm from lfs

Post  finfan 7th November 2011, 2:28 pm

Hi Kate,

I have found them but they are hit and miss in the lfs world here in Brisbane from what I have found , I have seen them at Slacks creek about $20 for large ones but they were just brown , unlike what can be found in the appropriate collection areas. They are pretty common and easy to keep as long as the fundamentals are covered, good water etc

Here is some info fyi- Featherduster worms, also called fan worms, are named for the highly-branched crown, or fan, of tentacles that extends from the protective tube. These tentacles extend from the head of the worm and are used in both oxygen uptake (respiration) and filter feeding. Fine side branches on the tentacles trap small particles of food drifting in the water currents. Large worms may have tentacles crowns spreading 6 inches (15 cm) across. The worms are sensitive to light, water motion, and touch, and can protect the delicate tentacles from potential predators by withdrawing rapidly into the protective tube. The worm produces the tube, secreting a leathery mucus from a collar-like structure at the base of the tentacles. Particles of sand and mud that are collected in the tentacles are incorporated into the tube.

Feather duster worms are common throughout the world in shallow water - cool hey.......
Cool

I am pretty sure you will find more info on this site.....

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 8th November 2011, 3:20 am

What ignobolis typed is quite right.

There are very few shops with tube worms any more, the main collector of these is gone now and I hear from one of the members that knows a few in the pet shop industry, including pet city that they are rare on wholesalers list these days and they sell for around $50 each for them now.

Have a look in this thread it may be of some help.

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t798-tube-worms-feather-duster-worms

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate 8th November 2011, 7:50 am

Thanks guys you are very helpful Very Happy
I will keep hunting for a purple one bounce

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down