South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To keep or release

4 posters

Go down

To keep or release Empty To keep or release

Post  finfan 28th November 2011, 12:05 am

Hi All

Im looking for some advice on wether to keep or release a few specimens ?

The Butterfly seems to pick at the corals - release or Keep ?
To keep or release Butter10

The rock thing I was told could poison the tank ? - Keep or release ?
To keep or release Worrie10

The wrasse, well I just cant get a decent photo of him ? - Keep or release Wink
To keep or release Myster11

To keep or release Myster12

finfan

Back to top Go down

To keep or release Empty Re: To keep or release

Post  liquidg 28th November 2011, 7:08 am

The problem is we are not really supposed to release once aquarium life has been in captivity.

You could put them in the swap, sell, give away section of the forum.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 28th November 2011, 10:07 am

Of course - by release I mean from my care.... not back into the ocean, thats not an option - Evil or Very Mad

thanks - however that doesnt answer the question - that red thing with the green eyes ? Are they poisonous, does anybody know- ? as this is my main concern ? Question

The buttery however is such an awesome fish - however I think his diet makes him a bit of a pest in my tank ? Unless somebody knows better or has any suggestions ? bounce

I love the emoticons Twisted Evil can you tell Laughing

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza 29th November 2011, 12:25 am

Dude the cheatodon,not a good fish for a reef tank, get rid of it!
The coral,rock thing Razz its species, haven’t seen that one and would keep it, that looks cool.
The last one the wrasse, it looks like it may be a bit dodgy with size in time, most don’t give much grief except to shrimp-small fish, the ones that only attain a small adult size are cool, if it doesn’t look worth it, toss it.
Keep the coral,if you are worried about poisoning the aquarium with corals, keep the skimmer on and watch out for anything with large or extended polyps, keep those to a minimum!
cheers

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  redsoxbill 29th November 2011, 2:51 am

Butterfly, give to someone with a fish only tank.
Coral - Here in the states we call this a war coral, and is highly sought after based on color and contract. A definate keeper, never heard of it killing anything, however whenever two corals touch each other there is often chemical warfare that goes on and he that has the most potent sting wins. if worried, you can ship him to my house, and I will be glad to keep it.javascript:emoticonp('cheers')
Wrasse - if you like shrimp, you won't like the wrasse, if you want good action in your tank you should keep the wrasse. he is a great community fish.

This is just my opinion, and should be taken for what is is worth (.02 Cents US / close to nothing).

redsoxbill

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 29th November 2011, 7:11 am

lol!

Well said Bill and good to hear from you.

It was me that said to ignobolis to be wary of the Scolymia australis, more so that i wasn’t sure of its input once there are lots of corals in the aquarium and how strong a sting it had or at what distance it could sting at.

They are very common out of Brisbane area, but I have not bothered with them until I saw ignobolis piece of australis,I put one in than took it out once the algae predator got out of hand, algae is my protein skimmer and over all water conditioner.

The one that is pictured is something quite special, maybe not to others but i dont remember seeing that one out here,though it sought of rings a bell, that’s a good find, I think.

Oh and the butterfly is most likely an aureofasciatus,I got some adult versions of these for Mark and they annihilated his corals, he wasn’t worried we knew they would do that, but he wanted some, he used corals as food to some degree.

Don’t throw that coral out!

Just watch it, experiment with it,sit it near others, in a current, in low light, see what it does, its up to you.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 1st December 2011, 2:31 am

Hi All,

Great feed back - thank you to all who answered Smile

The aureofasciatus will go to a better home - Wrecked my tank last nightr trying to catch the #$&*#@(.....who wants him ?

As for the Scolymia australis - I am please I can keep it - it is a great peice although seems to be failing.... water is good so I may relocate it in the tank as recommended and see how it goes.

Mr Wrasse will stay - yes he does love small shrimp - some of the smaller Peppermints became his dinner.. Sad

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down