South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It will never happen to me......

4 posters

Go down

It will never happen to me...... Empty It will never happen to me......

Post  finfan 16th January 2012, 3:39 pm

Hi all

Started the set up of my recently acquired 5x2x2 yesterday, and in the process I had to make room for it by sliding my current 4x18x18 out of the way. This is a 6mth old set up with everything in it, live rock,soft and hard corals and a stack of various fish and inverts and its going and looking great....well with the help of my lovely wife and kids we slid the 4 footer about 1.5 mts away and positioned the big new (to me) 5 footer in its place.

The plan is to fill it up with the salt water, get the sump sorted out with some advise from you guys and then transfer over bit by bit all the 4foot stuff.....well yesterday we got the 5 ft in place and left it at that -

I woke this morning to find a massive wet puddle, soaked carpet and half my 4footer all over the floor. It will never happen to me - well so I thought......turns out to be a loose connector on a temp power filter i set up during the change around dripped away all night and flooded the joint....damn it!

Funny though as it forced me to do a 50% water change and I have to say WOW - what a difference, everything in the tank is not only ok, but now looking awesome....leather and goni fully extended and fish all well. So today in between work we managed to fill the 5footer and get the return pump operational with all the plumbing. It will need some fine tuning bit I will work through it over the next few days in readiness for the big change over....

Just wanted to share this for a laugh if you like and will post up some pics soon....both of the sump and tank progress - all ideas and advice welcome - please.....
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

It will never happen to me...... Empty Re: It will never happen to me......

Post  Dazza 18th January 2012, 8:29 am

Dude we have all had that happen in one way or another, lol! its good it all worked out well for you, keep the photos coming of the aquarium cheers

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara 18th January 2012, 10:22 pm

Wet floors is part and parcel of aquarium keeping, it's just the extent that varies! Glad everything is ok

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Crotalus 20th January 2012, 8:34 am

Ah, I did that just the other day. Showing my wife how the protein skimmer works and as I was doing that, the effluent sucked up a rougue paper towel and started spilling water all over the place. I feel pretty bad for my carpet around that tank, it's taken a beating over the years.

Glad to hear it was just a fitting that was leaking and not the tank, although 50% of a tank that big is a fair amount of water on the floor.

Crotalus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down