South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabbitfish have cured by algae problem

3 posters

Go down

Rabbitfish have cured by algae problem Empty Rabbitfish have cured by algae problem

Post  travc83 19th January 2012, 10:47 am

I had a huge outbreak of green and brown hair algae, and I'm not exaggerating when I say huge! I think it was caused by an increase in phosphate levels which I was able to identify and then fix but the problem was once the algae had established itself it was almost impossible to get rid of it. After several attempts at trying to remove it manually (which is not a fun task) I tried increasing my clean up crew but didn't really get anywhere..

As you probably know with Summer being here so are loads and loads of juvenile fish that have been swept down with the currents. Amongst these are hundreds of juvenile rabbitfish. I managed to catch a couple using a hand net on the weekend without too much trouble and put them in my tank. Now, only 5 days later they have absolutely stripped my tank of all algae! It's amazing how much they have eaten.. they just keep eating and eating until there is nothing left. I barely have any algae left at all in the tank now and my corals have all bounced back. I highly recommend putting a few in your tank if you have an algae problem - not only is a good natural way of addressing the problem, it is the most effective solution I have found to date!

I've attached a photo of one of them - not exactly sure what species

Rabbitfish have cured by algae problem P1040511

travc83

Back to top Go down

Rabbitfish have cured by algae problem Empty Re: Rabbitfish have cured by algae problem

Post  finfan 19th January 2012, 11:58 am

Looks like a juvenile happy moment rabbit fish ah -(Siganus nebulosus) -they do love algae just don't let the dorsal fin or any fin really , stick you - they will introduce you to a world of pain....lasts about an hour Twisted Evil
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Rabbitfish have cured by algae problem Empty Re: Rabbitfish have cured by algae problem

Post  RyanG 14th March 2012, 5:33 am

I picked up a small Rabbitfish a few weeks ago... which went into my seahorse tank as an aglae controller. The problem was... the bugger ate ALL of my caulerpa! in a matter of 2 weeks!

Now my poor pipefish and seahorses have to sit on the sand pretending they are invisible! haha!

Great little fish for that purpose, jeez he is fat now.

RyanG

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down