South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All about PH??

2 posters

Go down

All about PH?? Empty All about PH??

Post  maddy_tr 19th February 2012, 7:52 am

Hey all, I’ve been looking around the internet and that site as well,ha ha,trying to get a clear understanding on why and how calcium or lime is good for PH.
Lots of confusing chatter about it, so I am back for a simple and knowledgeable explanation from here as I bet I will get, my husband still wants to go to the other site all the time, please help!
He is like Woolworth’s shoppers; they don’t go to other stores because that’s what they are used to. lol!

maddy_tr

Back to top Go down

All about PH?? Empty Re: All about PH??

Post  liquidg 19th February 2012, 1:29 pm

With in the marine aquarium all the communities oxidising waste with in the nitrite cycle establishes an acidic environment, that’s how bacteria and protists live.

Also the algae with in the corals called clades and the other varieties of all photosynthetic algae excretes co2 when lights out time arrives,co2 in its relation ship with the waters lowers PH turning the waters acidic to some degree.

The word (acidic), for the aquariums water refers to the electromotive forces at hand,that is what is measured as PH!

You have a base and an acid, in between are the never ending fluctuating electromotive forces on an ionic level, that’s what you test with a PH test,the gap between these two areas.

These forces consist of negative ions, calcium and lime are positive ions, you inject either of these into the aquariums water and the gap between the base and the acid expands as the calcium or lime forces these negative ions apart!

As this electromotive force expands the PH rises!

Acidic can be described in the easiest way as electricity in the waters, like a battery on your tong, you cant live in that, can you, that’s low PH and it also renders the oxygen and nitrogen ion bond brocken,this is now a serious PH crash, not just lower PH.

Where the nitrite cycle communities live the acidic affects dissolve the dead coral, shell grit or white marble and stabilises to some degree the PH again with the positive ions as a natural process,if the calcium based filtration media is set up correctly.

Calcium,lime as such in the water forces the negative ions a part fixing low PH!!

cheers
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  maddy_tr 23rd February 2012, 8:19 am

Thank you, sunny as usual on here I can rely on a complicated action from the marine habitat to be explained in a way I can understand easily Very Happy

maddy_tr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum