South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are zooxanthellae?

Go down

What are zooxanthellae? Empty What are zooxanthellae?

Post  liquidg 14th April 2019, 12:44 pm

Zooxanthellae are dinoflagellate and only a part of what lives in corals cells. Way back it was sad that the zoos are only part of what exists symbiotically in many marine and other organisms cells.
They are of the protista group and are not actually algae, though are evolved with algae.
That’s why I do not refer to them when I say, algae anywhere!
I always refer to just the algae that is symbiotic with the corals, as dinos are a subgroup of algae, but not actually algae, more so protista.
Plus zooexanthellae it self is usually only golden brown!
Its thought that way back when cyano ancestors gave earth is first oxygen, the later being actual cyano, they combined with algae to create the class called protozoa or protozoan and these days called protists meaning first animal!
Two things that brought all this to be are cyanobacteria and algae, tons of respect for both families from me.
With my hobby I do not hate them, control them sure, but hate them, no way!!!!
If I ever refer to zoos, I am referring to the non-photosynthetic carnivore that makes up heaps of the oceans plankton!
Of course a large proportion of the zooplankton are the dinos, there are also many other life forms in there including juvenile marine fish and inverts!

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum