South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

starting my first marine tank

+4
wayne
Admin
cetacean-
latzlover
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

starting my first marine tank - Page 2 Empty fish

Post  cetacean- 3rd January 2009, 8:03 am

hi L.
We are going for a snorkel tomorrow,if you like we will get some extra hardy species for you.
When the nitrites go down after a while when you have the fish and even crabs,anything living in your tub,the nitites are 0 for a few days take out 2 inches of tub fish and put in your tank 1 inch of display fish,that sought of thing until the tub life is gone and the tank fish are all there.

PM admin to see after lunch what we got.

It works great,good luck.
cheers

cetacean-

Back to top Go down

starting my first marine tank - Page 2 Empty thanks

Post  latzlover 4th January 2009, 11:22 pm

thanks for the fish and tub guys.I am going to make my own and use it as a quarantine tank later.The refugium and denitrater are on and it is looking good,just one leak,thats all fixed.I put in some of that cauplerpa and turtle weed you gave me.I wil come along to the next meeting if that is okay and pic some more brains and ask about my favourite fish that you get around here.See oyu soon! Very Happy

latzlover

Back to top Go down

starting my first marine tank - Page 2 Empty fish yay

Post  latzlover 7th January 2009, 10:11 am

I have been doing what you said,really over feeding these fish and inverts.The nitites have reached zero and don't seem to want to go back up.I am going to get my first fish on saturday.I thought i would start with a clown or two.which one should i get first to go with a lat if you can get me one.That shell grit of Liqiudg is good stuff to do things so fast.I have bought some nice corals,tough ones like you said.If you have any inverts you don't want,they would be greatly appreciated.
i am starting to make a different dry section off the plane i was given and the algae/anaerobic tank with the three levels is working well now.The nitrates are still there,so hopefully soon they will go as well.i will keep going down to the point boat ramp and doing heaps of water changes until it starts doing what it is supposed to do.My mate is a little jealous of my easy success so far! Laughing Laughing

latzlover

Back to top Go down

starting my first marine tank - Page 2 Empty new thread

Post  Admin 7th January 2009, 11:44 am

Tony can you start a new thread,if it is not about the biological filter.

Just makes it easier and looks better on the forum,thanks mate.
Smile

Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

starting my first marine tank - Page 2 Empty what was end result

Post  wayne 24th January 2009, 7:12 am

Hey there latzlover. Very Happy

What was the end result with your tank start up,if you don't mind sharing.

Some unusual things have been said in this thread,how did it go really! silent

I need to know if i am to go ahead with this. pale
wayne
wayne

Back to top Go down

starting my first marine tank - Page 2 Empty not latzlover

Post  roy s 24th January 2009, 7:27 am

Sorry mate he used my email to register,so i got it.

I will tell him to change it.
I have had some experience in marines if you need some help.

I will be getting back into it soon.Now i have seen these easy ways work to get it right.

Smile

roy s

Back to top Go down

starting my first marine tank - Page 2 Empty Hi there roy

Post  wayne 25th January 2009, 8:18 am

Any help would be great Roy,as i am still trying to understand all this cycling info. Very Happy

I will keep reading it and hopefully digest it,with out a stomach ache. Rolling Eyes
wayne
wayne

Back to top Go down

starting my first marine tank - Page 2 Empty Hey fellas

Post  Admin 25th January 2009, 8:25 am

Could you start a new thread/post on your questions please wayne,it will look better and easier for any one curious as to what you are doing and to help you.

Roy could you make sure your mate fixes that email address.

Thanks fellas!

Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

starting my first marine tank - Page 2 Empty Re: starting my first marine tank

Post  fishnthings 15th August 2010, 12:50 am

Has anyone used this set up recently ?
sent a message to find out more information but still have not received a reply Smile

Last edited by fishnthings on 5th September 2010, 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings 5th September 2010, 12:14 pm

Guest wrote:This is mainly if you are with in driving distance of the ocean.

A natural way to start an aquarium is to use, some dead fish or carcasses from the boat ramp or fish co op, or just buy a little amount of bait fish and marinara mix from coles or where ever, than get some life forms from the oceans low tide mark, like crabs,algae,marine plants,cunjivoe,any life forms you can find, than let them die. Don’t do this to anything nice, if you can avoid it.

After a couple of days fill a tub of at least 40 litres with natural sea water, put in a couple of air stones for a lot of bubbles during this action,(By the way this can all be done in your shed or where ever ,away from your house)it will stink.

Place all the dead tissue into the tube or whatever you are using.

During this time you need to have your biological area ready with the water flow through it that you want.

Nothing should be in your tank at all. Only a little natural salt water, with you’re made up salt water to fill your tank and filter, if you did not do a total natural salt water start.

You must have at least a few buckets of natural salt water for this to work quickly, though it will still work with made up water, just a few days slower.

You wait for around five to six days with the dead tissue in the tub or whatever, than run your water through some material to get out all the particles.

Pour the amonia rich water into your tank, after you take out the same amount of water you are putting in.

Test the nitrite and when it is getting right up there, give any of us a pm and you can get some very mature shell grit or there about and your tank will fire up big time.

Sorry about the lack of scientific terms,we are very relaxed here,plus it is easier and quicker to understand.
cheers
hi there
has anyone set up a tank as per the above iinformation ? apart from being on the nose lol sounds interesting !
We're keen to set one up pretty soon , a 4 foot to start with maybe ? ..
Any hints on what you feel would be the best way to go for a basic filtration system etc for this size tank .

Any advice would be appreciated
cheers

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  ianqld 5th September 2010, 2:49 pm

I wouldn't like to use that setup.
I prefer the slow and easy technique, using marinara mix to set the process going.
Letting everything stable out before adding any live stuff to the tank. Usually a month before putting the first fish in.
Only add the live stock slowly, making sure that all the readings stay steady before adding anything new.
If you rush it you would only end up with dead fish.
ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 6th September 2010, 2:45 am

As Ian said, you really need to take it slow.

I for one think that the best way to start a tank is something like this.

Empty tank.
Fill with water.
Poor in sand (whether it be live or dried, makes no difference).
Let sand sit for a few days until its cleared up. Running the sump with filters at this time helps to clean it up quicker.
Put rock in.
Let tank sit empty, with just sand, water and rock for a few MONTHS.
Corals can be put in now.
Put a fish in after 3 months or so.
If fish lives, put another one in around one per every two weeks and slowly stock tank.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings 11th September 2010, 9:50 am

Thanks for the tips guys .Smile
I did not realize it takes some months to add fish !! We were hoping to have it up and running smoothly by mid october.
How many fish would you suggest MAX for this size tank ?

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 11th September 2010, 11:08 am

Yeah, i'd definitely leave it a few months for the tank to get settled, and your bacteria in the rocks and sand and rest of biological filter to settle itself.

You said it was 1.2m x 460 or something x 460?. I cbf working out what that is, what size tank is it? 4ft? 5ft?

General rule for Tangs is 1 per foot of tank, although definitely NO TANGS UNDER 3ft TANK. They grow massive so a large 3ft tank would be the mimimum and probably only one or 2 for that size. I have four tangs in my four foot and they are just about outgrown the tank, which is why i'm upgrading to a massive 6ft tank.

Fish count depends on rockscape, filtration, how much water you have in the whole system (if you have a sump or its just the one tank), size of fish in the tank ect.

Until the tank is well established i'd be keeping it 1 fish per fortnight, after say 3 or 4 months. The tank will take about 2 months just to go through the cycle (you will get brown, red and green algaes during this time) and then i'd be leaving it another 2 months at least after that.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings 15th October 2010, 2:04 pm

ianqld wrote:I wouldn't like to use that setup.
I prefer the slow and easy technique, using marinara mix to set the process going.
Letting everything stable out before adding any live stuff to the tank. Usually a month before putting the first fish in.
Only add the live stock slowly, making sure that all the readings stay steady before adding anything new.
If you rush it you would only end up with dead fish.
Sorry Ianqld and Deadsled for the late reply, for some reason missed this post on my email response !.
Tank is now up and running .Will put some pics up as soon as.
Cheers

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2