South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My confused Puffer Fish

4 posters

Go down

My confused Puffer Fish Empty My confused Puffer Fish

Post  ianqld 27th November 2010, 11:43 am

I have a couple of Valentini that think they are Archer fish.
If I am not quick enough when feeding them, they will get impatient and start spitting at me.
I first noticed it when I was feeding them and got distracted by another fish at the opposite end of the tank. I had my hand over the top of the water holding the fish food when I felt water falling on my hand.
I looked up to see where the water was falling from, but it wasn't falling.
I looked back down into the tank to see the bigger puffer swimming at the top of the water spitting at the food in my hand.
Now the smaller puffer is copying the bigger one and it also spits.
I don't have to be feeding them for them to start spitting, sometimes I can just be looking into the tank when they both start spitting to let me know they want something to eat.

My confused Puffer Fish Puffers

Click on the video below to watch the crazy puffers. Laughing

My confused Puffer Fish Th_PufferSpit
ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

My confused Puffer Fish Empty Re: My confused Puffer Fish

Post  Fish-fan 27th November 2010, 2:07 pm

...........................as and interesting note, many puffers in the wild will blow or 'spit' at the substrate to uncover hidden crustaceans or other foods. In an aquarium some keepers have experienced their puffer spitting water at them from the surface of the water in an attempt to earn some tidbits of food! Be careful not to be fooled into overfeeding them.

Puffers have strong teeth that grow throughout their lives. They need to be offered hard shelled live food often to keep their teeth worn down. Acceptable foods include shellfish, crustaceans and hard shelled foods such as snails. If the teeth get too long, they will be unable to eat, requiring the owner to clip the teeth.

Fish-fan

Back to top Go down

My confused Puffer Fish Empty Spitters

Post  atdm 28th November 2010, 12:35 am

Hey Ian, I used to have a yellow box fish a few years back. he would do exactly that, spit at me when I got close to the aquarium.

However the other box fish I had few months ago would even come to the surface at all.............................It was a bit smaller though

atdm

Back to top Go down

Post  ianqld 28th November 2010, 10:39 pm

The puffers are getting more accurate. They can now hit me when I am about a metre away from the tank.
I don't even have to be looking into the tank now, they will take a shot if I am hanging around the area.
The weird thing is they are only doing it to me. If someone else is near the tank, they only swim around looking innocent. Smile
Who says fish can't recognize people?
ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings 25th March 2011, 7:12 am

lol they sound like real characters.! Spick and Speck Wink

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content