South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...

3 posters

Go down

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  Empty Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...

Post  finfan 22nd October 2011, 6:51 am

Hi All

Very interested to get your ideas and advise on this topic - seems the Aiptasia likes my tank and although I got rid of a few, more are present. I understand Peppermint Shrimp eat them - although my question is what else do they eat, Gonnies etc ?? And do the work as a effective option to control this pest ? If not what do you guys do ? I see the shrimp in LFS for $20 each - not sure if they can be found locally yet but I am about to go looking.....

Thanks for any feed back or advise....

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  Empty Re: Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...

Post  liquidg 22nd October 2011, 3:02 pm

We see thousands of peps in the right places and conditions

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  Peps

and if you have a lot in your tank they do more than help keep down apitasia,well while they are small they will graze on them,not always the large apts.

They also clean fish,remove waste and generaly keep the tank in good order!!

I put thirty in mine at the start,i dont know how many are there now,i just see one or two from time to time,the wrasse are most likely eating some so this week i am getting some more for myself and Danny,just in case the numbers are down because of the wrasse.

They breed quite a lot though,if your tank is right you will end up with lots of them if they don't get eaten by the corals as such and they are no trouble in any way at all!!
cheers
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  Empty Re: Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...

Post  finfan 23rd October 2011, 12:44 am

Good to know - I figured they could be found, the secret (very closely kept secret as it turns out) is were ?

I went out yesterday and saw -
a small (tiny) octopus (would be very cool in his own tank - those new ones that have the top sealed so you can see down into them)
Glass shrimp - little white boxing glove type (mostly egg carying females)
Nudi's
Small scorpion fish
Zoa's
Feather dusters

even an awesome little angler type fish - the ones that walk which was cool- ALL of which I just found and left alone !

NO Peppermint shimp !!!!! Sad

Last edited by Ignobolis on 23rd October 2011, 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 23rd October 2011, 3:17 am

Where are the pics,geez you forum users are lazy!!
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 23rd October 2011, 3:46 am

Yer - fair comment ! Smile

The camera I have has done way to many boat trips over the years and I dont bother taking it on land based adventures (not water proof and I WILL drop it) - when funds allow I will invest in a new water proof camera, my mate has the new Panasonic - good for 10mtrs - tested it and its great for the price point.... just need to get my funds sorted.....

Anyway tides dropping - I'm off for round 2 of Peppermint searching.... (well I will try anyway)....

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 23rd October 2011, 12:14 pm

SO I went and search for the elusive peppermint shrimp - here is what I observed

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  2011-10-23125232-1

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  2011-10-23123640-1-1

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  2011-10-23123530-2

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  2011-10-23130809-1

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  2011-10-23123818-1

And I found him.....

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  2011-10-23133502

Last edited by Ignobolis on 23rd October 2011, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 23rd October 2011, 12:17 pm

Thats a cutey.
cheers
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 23rd October 2011, 12:31 pm

Sorry first post stuffed up - I added more pics... above

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 23rd October 2011, 12:38 pm

Put it all in as a collecting trip, in the collecting section,Danny was on just before as admin,he or i will put your thread with a sticky,all most recent collecting trips go at the top!

Here,since you are putting in pics of trips and hopefully others will as well,i added the shrimp info in our information thread in the collecting section,use it wisely.

Scroll down and the shrimps info is there.

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t317-information-on-fish-and-invert-collectingfrom-regulations-to-how-to-collectinfo-updated-each-3-months#967
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 23rd October 2011, 4:26 pm

Cool thanks - Useful stuff there....

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza 25th October 2011, 1:27 am

The peppermints are okay and a copper band as well, both are cool for these pesky colony anemones,its just you need so many of the peps to keep back the apitasia and the costs,$20 plus each Rolling Eyes
A mate has a fowlr tank and got a few chaetodons,they mowed them down in just a few days in that tank.
Hey i looked at that information thread,thats very helpful,it must have taken some work to get all that together cheers

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Aiptasia and the Peppermint shrimp...  Empty update

Post  finfan 7th November 2011, 11:45 pm

Since the introduction of 5 peppermint shrimp I am happy to report that all the nasty anemones are gone..... Very Happy and I am not sure if it is coincedence but all the annoying red slime algae growing on the coral sand is also gone too - what a bonus!

They are so cool, the way they swagger from left to right, very shy but cool......
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 8th November 2011, 3:19 am

Too true mate,they are an awsome part of the aquarium life forms.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down