South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bubble anemone

3 posters

Go down

bubble anemone  Empty bubble anemone

Post  clevelandcallum 9th November 2011, 1:11 am

hi guys

well for something different and as the tank is loooking really good and the parameters are perfect and have been steady for a long period of time now i went out and bought a good sized bubble anemone

i purposly placed it on a large flat surface away from other corals hoping that it would stay there but as is always the case it didnt, its decided to take residence under the flat piece of live rock on which i put it ?

do these bubble anemone need large lighting requirments and if so why would it have decided to live in the shade under the rock?
thanks guys

callum

clevelandcallum

Back to top Go down

bubble anemone  Empty Re: bubble anemone

Post  liquidg 9th November 2011, 9:34 am

Mate 9 times out of 10 you will be sorry you put it in your aquairum.

They will move around until the lighting that suits them, plus current and food availability is right for them and then they may move again!

Clowns (amphiprion) do not need an anemone in an aquarium, in fact having one in there will bring on territorial instinctive issues from your clowns, maybe?

If you ever want to breed clowns, you put them in tanks with no other types of marine life in there, no anemones at all and they will attach their eggs not needing an anemone to protect them.

An anemone can get sucked to a circulating pump and upset the whole tank, block exits, sting slightly stressed fish, sting some corals, even the clowns if under any stress can fall prey to their own host anemone.

If you get an anemone crab, they don’t mind sitting under some soft coral and clowns will try many types of corals to get hosting from them, keep it in there if you like and it will move to find suitable spots, but it will most likely settle on some where.

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara 13th November 2011, 1:18 am

Anemones do require a lot of light. You will find it is hiding as it's not comfortable with the conditions in your tank (lighting, flow etc) once it gets used to it and adjusts it will find a spot it likes and will stay there.

I have 2 in my tank. The first one I was lucky with and it stayed on/under the rock I put it on and has grown heaps. The other wandered and ended up a fair distance from where I put it up the back, I am not even sure if it is still there come to think of it as I don't really see it

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  clevelandcallum 13th November 2011, 4:17 am

Ok and am I right on thinking that it needs a fair bit of flow then?

clevelandcallum

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara 13th November 2011, 5:39 am

About medium flow, and indirect. They will find a spot they are comfortable with and settle. If they don't it means something isn't right - the hard part being working out what that is.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down