South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

coffee rock

2 posters

Go down

coffee rock Empty coffee rock

Post  finfan 17th March 2012, 10:14 am

HiYa All

I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with the red/brown coffee rock as base rock in the aquarium?
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

coffee rock Empty Re: coffee rock

Post  RyanG 18th March 2012, 5:58 am

Hi mate,

I havent personally... but its an interesting idea- its porous, its found on reefs in about the same temp range as our tanks, and its found from shallow to deep... I guess replicate your tanks specs as much as you can when choosing- shallow rock will have huge amounts of high light dependent organisms, be more tolerant of temp and salinity spikes, and probably have cooler stuff attached to them. Deeper varieties would be used to less light, cooler water, more flow, and more stable specs.

Obviously if you are set up to cater for a big die off when you bring it home, all will be fine!

Ryan

RyanG

Back to top Go down

Post  RyanG 18th March 2012, 5:59 am

wait.. just saw you said 'BASE' rock- do you mean drying and bleaching it completely, then adding?

If so, who cares what rock you get!!

Ryan

RyanG

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 19th March 2012, 12:24 pm

Hey Ryan

Thanks for the reply - yer I was referring to the use for a base, as the pieces I have are medium flat pieces that stack nicely for a base set up -minimum life on it.....I have heard that it can stain the water colouration and have mixed mineral content depending on its place of finding....I have decided against it use in my main tank and will use it in a seperate 2 footer as an experiment. This way it wont be connected to my main tanks.

Thanks
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down