South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potentially fatal species of sea urchin.

4 posters

Go down

Potentially fatal species of sea urchin. Empty Potentially fatal species of sea urchin.

Post  liquidg 13th July 2012, 12:55 am

Guys I have done some stupid things in my time of marine adventures but this one, unbeknown to me, was a doozy!

I found out recently that a sea urchin a took a pic of has a fatal sting!

I have seen similar but not this exact type,no,so I picked it up gently as you do with my gloved hand and it wanted to take off as I redyed my camera, so with the ungloved hand,just carefully went to nudge it back onto the other one.

Holly hell, this shooting pain started and began to shoot up my arm and started feeling ill and strange warm dulling feeling started to take over!

So as a dedicated pic taker I took the pics quickly and got to safety just in case I was going to pass out!

Later on I found out through the museum it has a fatal sting, not from its spines, from its stinger covered tendrils, what a weird sea urchin!

Potentially fatal species of sea urchin. Urchin-
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Potentially fatal species of sea urchin. Empty Re: Potentially fatal species of sea urchin.

Post  finfan 13th July 2012, 8:47 am

Imagine if you licked it..... pale

finfan

Back to top Go down

Potentially fatal species of sea urchin. Empty Re: Potentially fatal species of sea urchin.

Post  Zhyr 14th July 2012, 6:31 am

Last edited by zhyr on 12th December 2012, 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Zhyr

Back to top Go down

Post  Crotalus 27th October 2012, 10:51 am

Wild...is that one related to the flower anemone? Did you need medical assistance or did you just tough it out?

Crotalus

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 31st October 2012, 6:51 am

No just didnt know i had touched a potentialy fatal sea urchin,in all these years have not known of a potentialy fatal type at all.

That was a suprise.

It was a weird experience as i felt faint,sick all at once and got a little worried,so i got to the shallows as i was in a 115 feet at that stage.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down