South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey nurse sharks in abundance.

3 posters

Go down

Grey nurse sharks in abundance. Empty Grey nurse sharks in abundance.

Post  liquidg 4th August 2012, 2:39 am

We found a spot some time back about 7 ks out in open ocean in 42 meters of water and have visited it a few times and call it spot x 3,one of three spots we know of that not many others do.

In nearly all times we have been there it has only ever been 10 to 15 metres vis which is a shame as the gorge area there is spectacular and abundant with life.

On top it is only 11 metres deep and jammed full of blue tangs, maybe the most abundant spot for blue tangs around here and obviously there are a multitude of other life forms as well.

The thing that supprised me is that we have never seen grey nurse here,every where else their numbers have pushed through the roof,but the gorge has always been void of them,until now.

The reason I was keen to get out there was to get a HD video of the complete swim through the gorge.

The vis was 20 plus and the current slight and seas had come down from the wild stuff during the week, it was the best time to go for my video, so three of us went out, I was just there for the video and some pics.

The reports from some divers we know said there were grey nurse every where, they are like flies at the moment, but that had nothing to do with the gorge,I thought so any way.
We put the anchor directly on the edge of theb gorge and i got down there to do the swim through and there were two above me, two under me,six in front of me and one next to me nearly the whole time,geez it was crowded out there.

What ever happened to the serious situation of grey nurse numbers,40 at flat rock and this lot where there aren’t any normally, oh yeh,they are a shark species in trouble, not likely!!

The grey nurse pics from the dives.

Grey nurse sharks in abundance. Shark-3-

Grey nurse sharks in abundance. Shark-4-

Grey nurse sharks in abundance. Shark-1-

Grey nurse sharks in abundance. Shark-2-

Grey nurse sharks in abundance. Shark-6-

Grey nurse sharks in abundance. Shark-7-
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Grey nurse sharks in abundance. Empty Re: Grey nurse sharks in abundance.

Post  mat8383 4th August 2012, 3:24 am

Awesome pics mate. I'm keen to get out and collect a few blue tangs but I think I'd be giving it a miss with that many nurses around. I know they're considered a docile species (as far as sharks go) but I think they might take one look at me and take advantage of an easy and more than filling lunch. Did ya get any pics of any other life out there?
mat8383
mat8383

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 4th August 2012, 5:25 am

Yeh there are other pics,I was mainly wanting to explore the gorge to get video of it while the water was clear.

I will add a couple more in a few days. Very Happy
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  hester 4th August 2012, 12:04 pm

Holy crap the last two photos of the big male look close up, they may be a trusted shark, still that mouth is to close for me Smile

hester

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down