South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Important reading for reef aquarium hobbyists from Eric Borneman.

Go down

Important reading for reef aquarium hobbyists from Eric Borneman. Empty Important reading for reef aquarium hobbyists from Eric Borneman.

Post  liquidg 23rd December 2012, 1:12 am

All these things Eric speaks of are why I gave up on live rock in the eighties and use completely life or dead tissue free dead coral and try to tell others there are so many non testable substances in your waters and fish drink this water and these substances get into your fish and to a lesser extent,your corals as well.

If algae are present in abundance it can be the most affective chemical filter imaginable via osmotic intake, that’s why I push the use of affective algae environments with in your systems.

The bit on bubbles is not right, the types of coralsregularly in heavy bubble areas of a reef are not small polyp species.
If they are there they receive at a least half the tidetimes,(half of a 24 hour period) of still waters to feed in.

Plus the commercial collectors that collect the corals you buy,(as I have been a part of that for years in the past), collect from near dead still water areas in relation to waves and bubbles, the waters are still current affected though.

Eric’s points of extreme importance to me from the article.

What kills virtually all marine aquarium species.
1.All too often, the fish dies, because while it may not have ammonia to contend with, it has water filled with chemicals we can't and don't test for.

The problems with zoas and other forms of corals.
2.The problem with the rationale, seemingly logical though it may be, is that success of these type species may make the tank even more incompatible for the success of stony corals because they are typically superior competitors (usually by secreting waterborne chemicals that inhibit or kill the stony corals or by the capability of overgrowing them).

Why I do not use a skimmer and rely on algae instead.
2.My point is that once nutrient levels are low and conducive to a healthy aquarium, and until other secondarily important aspects of protein skimming are experimentally validated and quantified, any skimming over that required to maintain low levels of organic and inorganic pollutants is overskimming. Why? Because if the water is cleared of those things that are detrimental, it is also likely to be equally cleared of things that are beneficial.

The article.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down