South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seahorses babies

3 posters

Go down

seahorses babies Empty seahorses babies

Post  fergo 14th May 2013, 2:24 am

Well i know this is not the right place, but i dont have admin rights to post in the breeding page.

Had seahorse babies last night. checking over the tank before work and what do i find in my refugium? baby seahorses..... so to get there they have gone through the media rack, past the tunze skimmer, ACTUALLY into the 1000lph chiller pump, through the chiller and into refugium. Counted 6 so far, but there could be lots more.

only got one bad iphone pic, will try to get better ones tonight.

Well it may be a fluke but we got more babies...
fergo
fergo

Back to top Go down

seahorses babies Empty wow

Post  Makaira 14th May 2013, 6:58 am

wow thats amazing, my missus is on me to set up another little tank for some seahorses.
would love to chat to you about there requirements etc.
Makaira
Makaira

Back to top Go down

seahorses babies Empty Re: seahorses babies

Post  fergo 14th May 2013, 7:25 am

sure thing, any time.

there is some great resources on the net regarding their care, but i am happy to share my expereinces with you
fergo
fergo

Back to top Go down

seahorses babies Empty some quick questions

Post  Makaira 14th May 2013, 7:52 am

few questions

-are they as finicky towards food and temperature as everyone lets on. ?
- minimum tank size for a pair, ?
- lighting ?
Makaira
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  fergo 14th May 2013, 8:35 am

ok no they are not as touchy about food at all, i have had one that did not eat and starved. the rest providing its moving in the water from current will go for it. they are also very easily trained to go to a bowl at feed time (i have a small tupperware container in my tank, i tap the glass a few times, give them a moment and they all come to the bowl).

I use a syringe and ridged irrigation pipe from bunnings to feed, i suck it up with the syringe and pump it into the bowl, twice per day.

so providing your current allows them to move a little they will get eaten.

Light : very dont care really, prefer more blue to bring out the colours but they are non fussy at all about this, a standard PC bulb from bunnings would be sufficient.

min tank size would depend on the species, most you can easily get will require 50L for a pair. i guess you could get away with smaller if you had a badass filter and clean up crew, as they are messy, alot of food will go to waste (another reason to use the bowl method as you can suck it back out).

another thing that the internet is misleading about is current, they dont seem to mind current at all providing there are slowly areas in the tank.

i have a RSM130 and have two 800L circ pumps, and a vortech mp10 running at 50% so thats what 3000l per hour... they actually seek out the current at times.

if your a brisbane person, feel free to drop me a line and your welcome to come and see the tank and talk about them more or ill be at the meeting tongiht

fergo
fergo

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 14th May 2013, 8:36 am

fergo wrote: i dont have admin rights to post in the breeding page.

If you want to make up a thread on how to breed them and pics, mate it will go in,that section is just a how to,not for replies.

Back to top Go down

Post  Makaira 14th May 2013, 11:07 am

i was going to the meeting but ive been conned into babysitting by the missus. id love to organise to come around and see them.
and get some ideas.

ive got a 20L fluval edge that immthinking of putting a 30+L sump.

wondering if i went with smaller seahorses wether it would be ok.

i jus love the compact clean look of the edge tank.
Makaira
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Post  fergo 15th May 2013, 12:46 am

well you wont get any mating behaviour as they need the height in the water column for the dance.

i think putting two in the edge might be tough but to be honest give it a shot, i was told they hate flow and i beg to differ on that one, as the vortech i have in mine is on 50% and the love it.

sometimes they camp in front of it...

well shoot me a pm and we can try and arrange a time to meet up and you can check out the tank and talk ponies
fergo
fergo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down