South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well!

3 posters

Go down

Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Empty Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well!

Post  liquidg 15th April 2014, 12:15 pm

This is what I do and should not be done by the unqualified in scuba gear maintenance.
This is for that time when diving you find there is enough air in your tank indicating on your contents gauge for more time under water, yet you can’t get a full breath from your second stage mouthpiece.
What happens is the muck in the filter only allows air to be passed from your scuba tank at a slow rate and when you take your breath it only allows what is in the hose at the time and only a slow replacement rate to fill that breath and if you take that breath quickly it will not be a full breath and it will appear from that, as if your tank is running low.
These pics show what I mean.
This shows a dirty regulator first stage filter.
Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Reg-full-of-gunk-_zps35dc343a

First stage regulator filter taken a part.
Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Filter-out-_zps3fcd1957

This is the dirty filter on its own.
Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Dirty-reg-filter-_zps8d1c6632

I place the reg filter in vinegar for a few hours.
Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Filter-in-vinegar-_zps28ebf6ca

Rinse off and use a small screw driver t scrape out the filter and you have a clean reg filter.
Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Second-stage-filter-clean-_zpsb07777c6

First stage and reg filter back together.
Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Second-stage-filter-togethe_zps9f4e2a5c

When I do this, I usually take out the first stage seat and recondition it and change the O-rings for the contents gauge.
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Empty scuba gear

Post  Ulster 22nd April 2014, 12:51 pm

If there is anyone in the club who wants scuba gear let me know I have some to get rid off Bob f

Ulster

Back to top Go down

Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Empty Re: Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well!

Post  finfan 23rd April 2014, 4:37 pm

Hey Bob

Where ya been mate - long time......

If that gear works mate I would be keen.....looking to get some cheap scuba gear if possible

Thanks

finfan

Back to top Go down

Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well! Empty Re: Scuba gear-second stage not breathing well!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down