South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank

4 posters

Go down

Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank Empty Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank

Post  Xine 25th January 2010, 10:38 am

Hi everyone! I am so glad that I found this forum! I hope to get myself to one of your club meets when the next one happens.

Well I am very new to the idea of setting up a reef aquarium - previously I have kept tropicals (and it's been a few years since I have done that) I am looking to get back in to keeping fish and thought I might try marine. My BF and I are very keen divers and we love the idea of having a bit of the ocean in our home. I hope that I can get some good advice from some kind forum posters Very Happy

We haven't bought anything yet as we have been researching and thinking about what kind of set up we would like. So I was wondering - what kind of set up is most popular and why? (sump or no?) What brands of important equipment would you recommend and why? What fish species could a Noob like me realistically be confident of keeping alive in the first year? Is coral too difficult? Should I just focus on fish at first?

Thanks in advance,

Christine.

Xine

Back to top Go down

Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank Empty Re: Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank

Post  liquidg+ 26th January 2010, 8:39 am

Hi Xine,good to have you here.

With the aquarium question first off what are you wanting to keep is the main thing and we can go from there.

A sump as they call it these days of a type that suits your needs is the way to go for sure.

Some aspects of the hobby we build ourselves,bio filters,tanks,etc.

Corals in general are easier to keep if the money is spent,more so than fish are.

To combine the two is a little harder though with the right equipment and assistance you won't have many worries.

A fish only tank and a invert only mainly tank,plus just a couple of harmless fish in there are the ways to go if you want increased simpler success.

The diving side of it is good as you can see we are big on collecting our own marine aquarium species as well.

Plus being that you dive i would go with some basic fish and inverts you can collect your self for now and learn from that.

If you havent seen this section below yet have a look at what is common around here for you to try at keeping.

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/local-marine-fish-and-invertebrates-f20/

There are some of us that do go on scuba as a more sepperate thing because in Q we arent allowed to collect on tank so we all go but if anyone is on scuba they are our spotters, Laughing

Once you decide exactly the way you want to go ask anything at all,one of us has most likely done it or knows where it is already, Laughing

cheers

liquidg+

Back to top Go down

Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank Empty Re: Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank

Post  DeadSled 26th January 2010, 1:55 pm

Since I've been asked to chime in, here is my thoughts..

First up, a reef tank wether its a fowler (Fish only with live rock) or a full on mixed fish/coral reef, they can be expensive.. or they can be not so much cheap, but definitely affordable. A lot of the stuff we do is DIY, to most of us.. its not just a living wall picture, but a hobby so part of the fun is the initial setup, plumbing.. creating filters.. doing sumps ect.

You need to decide what size tank you want. I believe that a 3-4ft is good for beginners. Anything smaller is more for the nano crowd, and they require a bit more knowledge and experience to keep well.

A sump is definitely a good idea, but make it as big as you can the first time round. I'm onto my third sump design on my four foot, and in the next 6 months i'll be adding a 6ft to the system so the sump will need to be changed again.

Now onto the facts about sumps.. they are great because you can house your skimmer and heater/s in there, and if you make a section for it also a refugium and a fish area and/or live rock seeding area.

If you have a 3ft, a 2.5ft tank would be the smallest i'd use for a sump. If you go 4ft, then a 3 - 4ft sump will be perfect.

You will need the tank drilled in a corner or in the middle, depending where you want your plumbing to run and have it go down to the sump. I can draw up a good sump design or two for you in the future when the time comes if you need it. You'll also need a return pump. I use an Oceanic 2500L i'm pretty sure, and the U bend from a canister filter that hooks over the edge of the tank.

The main issue when having a sump is what happens when the power goes out. The reality is, is that it'll overflow everywhere because the pump back siphons when it gets turned off, unless you make a way for that to stop. What i've done is used the canister U peice and drilled a hole in it at the water level, so as soon as the power goes off it sucks air and no siphon happens. Pretty easy, and i can take some reference pictures for you also in the future when their needed.

As far as equipment goes, it depends on what its used for as to what you'll need. If your going to just have soft corals or just fish, a low output or high output T5 will be fine, and their only like $120ish for a 3 or 4ft tank. I have a LO and a HO on my tank. Reason being, the LO can switch between white, yellow and blue lights.. the HO has the white, blue and yellow but can't switch between. I get best of both worlds here.

You'll want to get a moderately good skimmer, around the $250 - $300 mark. I paid $80 for mine, and got a fair decent pump to run it.. but i modified it to work better and it still is pretty piss poor. I will have to upgrade skimmer to around a $400 one when i upgrade my system next.

Heaters don't matter what brand, just get one or two $15 - $20 ones and you'll be sweet.

I don't think you'll need to think about Calcium reactors and the like just yet either. You'll only need the basic equipment of light/s, skimmer, one or two (two i think is the least required) powerheads and a return pump for the sump.

Thats all i can think of for now without getting too in depth. Give me a yell if you have anymore questions at all, i'd be glad to help out.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank Empty Club meetings

Post  Admin 26th January 2010, 2:49 pm

The next club meeting at the address on the homepage of the forum is on the 9th of february 7.30 pm.
cheers

Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Xine 29th January 2010, 1:17 pm

Wow - thanks so much for the lengthy and informative replies to my post Deadsled and Pkc.

Based on your replies I am pretty sure that I would like to go for a sump set up. Yes I have heard of the siphon issue with sumps and its interesting to see there is a pretty simple fix for it. That's pretty clever actually. Would be pretty sad to come home to 100's of litres of salt water everywhere and dead fish!

We are thinking we would like to go for a 6 ft tank. My previous freshwater set up was in a 4 ft tank and while I loved it I always felt like it needed to be just a little bit bigger. I like the idea of collecting my own fish too - too bad that it's not allowed on scuba here but oh well - have to give the fish a fighting chance hey?Do you guys ever let them back go if they get too big or just because you feel like it would be nice to let them go? Would they survive I wonder? Are you allowed to collect live rock on scuba?

Well - what do we want? We basically want a piece of the ocean at home (something like you would see diving) and have seen some great set ups in the fish stores around Brisbane. They seem to have corals, fish and anemones and things all together - is that a realistic thing for people to be able to have at home? I guess it that was too difficult we could start with a fish and live rock with some inverts. I really hope to have a tank that has some night life as well - love my night dives and seeing the changing activity between night and day. So maybe some things that come out at night would be cool but not a deal breaker.

When you say that you need to drill through the aquarium glass, do you mean through the bottom or the side?

I don't know much about those lights that you mention though I did have an idea that corals needed different lights to fish. How do they work? (switch between colours? Is it on a timer or something?

Well, I have so many questions I think I am going to have to go to the meet up in Feb! Hope to see you there.

Xine

Back to top Go down

Post  Xine 29th January 2010, 1:21 pm

Oh and I checked out the pics - BF really wants to get an angler fish. Have never seen one in this area but they are pretty hard to spot. Just like the stonefish - you could be sitting right over one and not see it. Was just up at the Bunker Group diving a week or so ago (FANTASTIC) and we found one leaf scorpion fish and a frogfish - quite similar to the angler but the anglers are just so interesting with their little wiggly lures.

Thanks again for the advice.

Xine

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg+ 29th January 2010, 1:49 pm

Hi Xine.
we see the little yellow ones out here at times as well,but i hate them and unless a clubby wants one,yukk,lol.

The best way to make an over flow is to do a scallop cute to the tank and build a colum exit combined prefilter or if you want get holes drilled and make your own over flow.

Its very simple to do and full proof and makes a very handy prefilter area and possible dry section to keep PH always stable as well.

The sump should have a clean plenum or deep sand bed for the conversion of nitrate to nitrogen and an algae scrubber style rather than a refugium to convert phosphates as such,they were designed for just that a place of refuge for sick algae,sick inverts,or even a safe place for a fish or two.

Plus somewhere along the way a grunty protein skimmer should be working away as well to reduce the need for not so many water changes.

liquidg+

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg+ 29th January 2010, 2:00 pm

If you drill the bottom you must make sure that the water can not get to the whole unless it over flows to it keeping the tank water level at the right spot always,or the lounge room needs a diving board in there.

You can glue a condute pipe over the whole or there are fittings you can buy to acheive this type of thing to make the water remain in the tank unless it over flows that pipes level it sets,or a glass barrier in front of it to setting the tank water height.

Make sure the water return pipe just goes just under the surface of your tank water when at over flow height or when the power goes off the syphon affect will suck to where the pipe begins or ends,how ever you want to look at it.

A guy years ago made his return finsh at near mid way to the bottom of his tank and all of that syphoned out when he blew a fuse while out.

An indoor swimming pool as a supprise in the house at near mid night is no fun,lol.

liquidg+

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 29th January 2010, 3:32 pm

Xine wrote:Wow - thanks so much for the lengthy and informative replies to my post Deadsled and Pkc.

Based on your replies I am pretty sure that I would like to go for a sump set up. Yes I have heard of the siphon issue with sumps and its interesting to see there is a pretty simple fix for it. That's pretty clever actually. Would be pretty sad to come home to 100's of litres of salt water everywhere and dead fish!

As i said above, its a very easy 2 minute solution. I'll get a pic one day of it though and you can see what i mean.

We are thinking we would like to go for a 6 ft tank. My previous freshwater set up was in a 4 ft tank and while I loved it I always felt like it needed to be just a little bit bigger. I like the idea of collecting my own fish too - too bad that it's not allowed on scuba here but oh well - have to give the fish a fighting chance hey?Do you guys ever let them back go if they get too big or just because you feel like it would be nice to let them go? Would they survive I wonder? Are you allowed to collect live rock on scuba?

Live rock is a no no, and i personally have let a few fish back that i decided i didn't want. Just catching them in the tank is the pain in the ass part..

Well - what do we want? We basically want a piece of the ocean at home (something like you would see diving) and have seen some great set ups in the fish stores around Brisbane. They seem to have corals, fish and anemones and things all together - is that a realistic thing for people to be able to have at home? I guess it that was too difficult we could start with a fish and live rock with some inverts. I really hope to have a tank that has some night life as well - love my night dives and seeing the changing activity between night and day. So maybe some things that come out at night would be cool but not a deal breaker.

Of course its possible to have fish, inverts, corals and anemones all in the same tank. There's only two lights that are currently in widespread use, T5 and MH (Metal Halide). Halides are more expensive and really only needed if you have SPS (Small Polyp Stony) corals. Otherwise, HO (High Output) T5 are fine.

You can also buy moonlights, or DIY a set of LED moonlights. Whatever takes your fancy really.

When you say that you need to drill through the aquarium glass, do you mean through the bottom or the side?

Yes, will show you how i did my weir / bulkhead ect at the end of the post.

I don't know much about those lights that you mention though I did have an idea that corals needed different lights to fish. How do they work? (switch between colours? Is it on a timer or something?

All T5 lights have at least blue and white (yellow really) bulbs. Low output lights you can switch between the blue, the yellow ("afternoon" i guess..) or the blue and yellow which creates the daytime white light. High output T5 have the same bulbs (mind you, different wattage) but at least on the light i have, i can't switch between.

Fish don't really need lights at all, but lights make the tank look nice. Soft corals will be fine with T5 but may do better under MH, each corals requirements are different really.

Switching between the colours is just the on/off switches on the side of the light fixture. On the HO, there's one on/off switch for the whole bank of lights, and on the LO theres two switches, one for the two outside bulbs (the yellows) and one for the middle (blue).

Well, I have so many questions I think I am going to have to go to the meet up in Feb! Hope to see you there.

Heres how my weir is setup. Don't take any notice of the skimmer, its in the next room now where my sump is. I used to have the sump underneath the tank.

Anyway..

Heres when it first was setup. I cut up a piece of acrylic sheet and then went up to the shed and clamped it between two pieces of steel, heated it with a heat gun and folded it to create the 90 degree bend. The combs at the top can be bought from most LFS i'd imagine, and i just stuck it into one of our circular saws and cut the 45 angle on the ends so they butted up nice. Easy as.

The bulkhead (black part) was bought from bunnings and its pretty easy to figure out, has the two main parts and two rubber discs that i smeared a whole lotta silicon in between and around to seal it up, then you just tighten them up and its all good. The pvc pipe was also bought from bunnings.

The comb is used for keeping fish out (or trying to anyway, had a blenny and a wrasse get through it before..) and also its there to adjust where i want the water level to be. I made the acrylic part sit about 2" from the underside of the tanks glass lid bits, and then the comb can be raised or lowered another inch or so.

Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank L_61f5579bde664725934b1fe0a66079a1

Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank L_c11540563cba477e88178f69da6b91be

Don't take any notice of the direction of the plumbing, as it now goes through the wall, but this is to show the underside of the bulkhead.

Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank L_7133720d04c04215a844f7111f56892d

Heres another just for kicks.

Looking for advice on setting up a reef tank L_57cc7ffc3a114c18ad038f2874bb2518
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Xine 31st January 2010, 9:39 am

Thanks again guys and it really helps to see those pictures. PKC - are Deadsleds pictures what you are describing? I am sorry, I am not up with all the terminology yet - is that a scallop chute and is the pipe the column exit in Deadsleds pics? Aw... PKC - The angler fish are awfully ugly for sure but quite amazing little critters haha.

Deadsled, why do you have a weir? Could you not just have the pipe with the combs on top of that (or some kind of "fish barrier" - always wondered what the comb was for!) What is the advantage to drilling the hole in the bottom of the tank in this manner? Is it a 'neatness" factor? I am thinking that having things hanging over the side of the tank may not look so nice. I guess you can hide the weir with clever placement of your live rock etc.

Thanks for explaining the lights and it's good to know that it's not too impossible to have corals and fish together. I think that would be our ideal set up in the end - hopefully with an anemone if we can. I am happy to take it step by step though and from what I have heard bigger tanks are somewhat easier to maintain than smaller ones. (same with freshwater I guess)

Interesting that you bent your own acrylic. Do you prefer glass or acrylic for a tank 6 ft long? Is glass better? I like the curved ends of the acrylic tanks but I am worried that they might be easily scratched when cleaning.

With lighting I suppose you would have to work out what kinds of creatures you would like to keep then work out the lighting afterwards. It looks like it may be pretty straightforward if you think it through.

Xine

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 31st January 2010, 10:29 am

Xine wrote:Thanks again guys and it really helps to see those pictures. PKC - are Deadsleds pictures what you are describing? I am sorry, I am not up with all the terminology yet - is that a scallop chute and is the pipe the column exit in Deadsleds pics? Aw... PKC - The angler fish are awfully ugly for sure but quite amazing little critters haha.

The column is infact where the water drains out. It is set at that length though so the water level in the weir is just under the main tanks water level, so that the water rushes down the pipe and helps keep a bit of water movement in the top of the weir.

Deadsled, why do you have a weir? Could you not just have the pipe with the combs on top of that (or some kind of "fish barrier" - always wondered what the comb was for!) What is the advantage to drilling the hole in the bottom of the tank in this manner? Is it a 'neatness" factor? I am thinking that having things hanging over the side of the tank may not look so nice. I guess you can hide the weir with clever placement of your live rock etc.

I have the weir because it stops the fish getting in (most of them anyway..) and if you had the pipe with the combs directly ontop (which i can't imagine how you'd do that anyway..) the algae growth you eventually get would block it all up and then your tank would overflow because you'd have more water pumping up, than running down. I also get a LOT of pods breeding in the weir and because there is no fish in there, it became an unplanned refugium.

You can drill the hole anywhere you like really, when i upgrade my system and add a 6ft tank, the hole in the 6ft will be on the side and i'll have the same bulkhead, but i'll have another type of grate on the inside.

The hole is there to reduce the amount of return pumps required, and its hard to have one pump pulling water, and another pushing.. and to have them equal. Its easier to just have one side overflow, and then pump back up. I also have a valve off the side of my return pump that i use to equalize the water level in the sump. Its very simple, despite looking complicated.

As far as hiding the weir goes, it gets algae growth on the inside and out, so it eventually blends in and most don't even notice it when they look at the tank the first time round. I do have half of it hidden with live rock, although the rock wassn't there to hide it, just how i wanted the rocks to sit.

Thanks for explaining the lights and it's good to know that it's not too impossible to have corals and fish together. I think that would be our ideal set up in the end - hopefully with an anemone if we can. I am happy to take it step by step though and from what I have heard bigger tanks are somewhat easier to maintain than smaller ones. (same with freshwater I guess)

Corals and fish in the same tank is not hard to do at all, you just have to manage what type of fish you get as some angels for example, will eat certain corals. Also, you have to be careful with anemones as they will eat your fish if they can get a hold of them.

Interesting that you bent your own acrylic. Do you prefer glass or acrylic for a tank 6 ft long? Is glass better? I like the curved ends of the acrylic tanks but I am worried that they might be easily scratched when cleaning.

Acrylic and glass have their own uses in my opinion. I'd never have an acrylic tank because they scratch too easily, and i've never been a fan of curved tanks. I'd always stay with glass tanks.

I like the acrylic for weir's, and sump baffles because i can drill holes in them easily. I wouldn't be able to have 100 or so 12mm holes drilled into a sheet of glass because it'd crack too easily. In saying that, if i could drill glass the same way, i'd use that because its stiffer than the 5mm thick acrylic my local hardware store has.

With lighting I suppose you would have to work out what kinds of creatures you would like to keep then work out the lighting afterwards. It looks like it may be pretty straightforward if you think it through.

Yes and no. If your just going to have fish, T5 will do fine. If you want fish and soft corals, T5 will also be fine. If you want SPS, MH is the way to go. Keep in mind, no one recommends SPS in a newly setup tank anyway because the tank isn't mature enough for it, unless you're very experienced in keeping SPS.

You can also always have T5 at first, and then upgrade to MH and sell the T5 lights at a later date.

DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down