South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spidey id

3 posters

Go down

Spidey id Empty Spidey id

Post  casey 9th February 2010, 1:08 am

found this little fella in the bathroom, no abdominal markins at all, often get false widows (non dangerous) in my live food by accident...

Spidey id S1050298
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty spider in bathroom

Post  shaz 9th February 2010, 3:09 am

yukk ---- this one is interesting looking !! :
--
- def not a cute looking spider like the huntsman Smile
cool pic though have you found out what type it is

Last edited by shaz on 10th February 2010, 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ,)

shaz

http://www.swanseabackpackers.com.au

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty Re: Spidey id

Post  Admin 9th February 2010, 6:08 am

Now that is an excelent example of a spider,really gross,lol.
No just kidding anything from nature is cool and sometimes interesting. Very Happy
Very well presented pic vawn,thanks for that bit of forum content,shame the others were not so good at posting pics of stuff.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 9th February 2010, 5:37 pm

i saw it again this morning n saw that the legs and carapice are more brown and there is a hint of a couple grey spots on the abdomen so rekon it's likely to be false widow n he's a little aggressive too, already tried to munch me but his fangs are tiny cuz he's only a weener, gonna try to box him up though! suposed to be only a little toxic but i wonder if not dangerous only cuz usually docile
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty spider

Post  shaz 10th February 2010, 3:53 am

, you can see the fangs actually if you look closely Smile maybe we will find out the type of spider by those markings that you have described

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 10th February 2010, 3:05 pm

gettin surer it's a false widow
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty spider

Post  shaz 10th February 2010, 4:31 pm

yeh i saw in your first coment that you thought it might be a false widower -- now we know cool Smile
def different looking to any of the spiders that i have seen before .
. so do you have lethal spiders where you are?. like here in oz we have the funnel web and that is seriously very nasty! we had one in a pool once hell scarey looking - What a Face

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 11th February 2010, 2:06 am

i kept a funnel web once but no pix, not the kinda spid you wanna muk around with!!
there's nothing here venomous at all, false widow is as bad as it gets n thats cuz of us lot importin live crickets n all in little safe enclosures, we get all sorts like that! i also had some deadly scorps, they came back in a friends suitcase, only babies but waaay too venomous, like 2o mins n no hospital = bye bye. they ended up dyin cuz i wouldn't help them moult, didn't wanna risk touchin them, they were very cute though.
ooh wanna see my emp. scorp pic, i keep him in a nice happy tank terrarium n he's gettin to be a juvenile now, i had him from since he was a little wormy grub!
there is a big cat debate on the go, are they real or no, in the 70's people chucked out their pet pumas n lynxs cuz of a change in liscence laws, so there could be something dangerous out there...
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty re cats/pumas

Post  shaz 11th February 2010, 9:14 am

yeh vawn the funnel web is def very exteme in its features -------no mistaking one once you have identified they even look lethal ! yukk

if you see a scorpion that would be cool and to check out your pics Smile all good

dont get me started on irresponsible people with their animals especially with cats !! not kept in check !!Evil or Very Mad they become feral and kill all our amazing birds and wildlife a huge problem here in oz

some of the feral cats that i have seen in the country are massive . we have a friend that was actaully attacked by one in his garage a few years back !
they heard a comotion going on , wENT to investigate and when opening the side door there was this ferel cat hanging in the corner and .. when he tried to remove the thing it flew at him What a Face a pitch fork was used to protect himself !!! it was hugee

i will leave the final out come for it to your imagination.. was a very bad experience for him. in ALL ways ! -----

seeing a puma /lynx creeping about the bush would be hell scarey. .

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 11th February 2010, 9:20 pm

this is chin (pandinus imperator)

Spidey id S1050174

Spidey id S1050173

and my latest pic of dora thou i seem to think most aussies dont like spiders!!

Spidey id S1050240

and finally, to keep it reptile (n i no some people have seem em already!!) just cuz he's too cute my royal/ball python

Spidey id S1050293

cheers cheers cheers
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 11th February 2010, 9:22 pm

oops forgot this ain't the reptile section!! oh well
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty spider

Post  shaz 12th February 2010, 1:59 am

love the pic on dora she looks very sweet.. Smile
how long have you had her for ? and how long is she expected to live ?
interesting looking scorpion ! not sure if i would feel comfortable with one of those hanging about by the looks of it - lol
thanx for sharing the pics
if you ever get to oz vawn i will have to take you snorkelling so you can also see our amazing sea life Smile

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 12th February 2010, 11:37 am

yeah deff, used to snorkel with my dad but there was nothin to see!
dora; lasiodora parahybana, the males live for a year odd, the females for 30. i had her for 4 years but she was already mature wen i got her, the emperor scorp i had from a baby, his mum was my first herp pet but she died now, his sting is about as sore as a honey bee
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty spider

Post  shaz 12th February 2010, 12:33 pm

30 years !!! really ?? geez that is along time i had noo idea they had such a life span --very cool ------life time pet really for you then Very Happy
by that comment on the scorpion i take it you have already had a strike-- Shocked hmmm i'll be right , i would rather dora anyday--- :

: excellent that you shared snorkelling with your dad i guess over your way it would be almost dry suit conditions - .

i think i would be heading off to the red sea !.

both my children snorkel -- and have dived ----- the grew up in the ocean Smile hey if you ever think of doing a dive course over your way the bsac course is the way to go . cheers

Last edited by shaz on 12th February 2010, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 12th February 2010, 2:54 pm

i wanna get a boat, it ain't that cold over here!! though we were in winter wetsuits in the middle of summer!! but there's little in the way of marine life unless you go rock poolin, there's all interestin stuff like anenomies n shore crabs
leat it was the emp that done me n not the b.o.s'!! n he was even smaller then stabby bitey stabby stabby n i could n't even feel it n he was gettin relly angry!
i tried to make him a little more aggressive so it would eat properly but it's gonna end up bigger than dora one day Shocked
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty spider

Post  shaz 15th February 2010, 1:23 am

hey vawn
i think dora is just right size for me to handle Smile
seeing any larger spider than that and i would be peaking -lol -- so you have to encourage them to eat ? by the pics i have seen looks like they would devour anything in their path lol..
yeh i love checking out the rock pools and doing low tide walks . sunny . seeing so much variety star fish tube worms and anemones in abundance . we would do this often with the kids , was so educational for them . we once found these spotted eels too they named heckle and jeckle , soo cute they had such personalities . we often went back to see how the were maturing . some of the tropical fish as well, we would collect for our aquarium. .

i got msg from straddie about diving with the manta rays in MAY it is almsot out of season then so heres hoping ! and now i have that underwater camera sorted i hope to maybe get a few pics and will post.
cheers

Last edited by shaz on 15th February 2010, 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 15th February 2010, 1:26 am

cool
they are really quilck wen they're eatin move like lightnening n hold it there in theis mouths for a while, dora eats locusts
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty spider

Post  shaz 15th February 2010, 2:32 am

so will are you looking at gettting any more spiders in the future ?

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 15th February 2010, 1:32 pm

i would like to, maybe next year wen things pic up a bit, some real spiders, another huntsman even, they n the fishing spiders (wolf Family)
are my fave n loadsa fun settin up, we shall wait n see... Very Happy
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty spiders

Post  shaz 15th February 2010, 3:14 pm

fishing spider hmm sounds interesting ! so how large do they get ?
not so sure of the wolf spider they kinda jump at you What a Face so a large one doing that would kinda spin me out a little i think
i can imagine setting up house for them would be cool Smile so do the children share this interest with you ?

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  casey 15th February 2010, 6:37 pm

the giant fishing spider of the amazon, related to british house spiders, the wolf spider, gets about 10cm accross and are very clever with their webs 😉
casey
casey

Back to top Go down

Spidey id Empty spider

Post  shaz 16th February 2010, 12:24 am

gotcha on that-- !! i am jsut imagining hiking swimming in there . lol
i read up on the webs facinating . i love watching the spiders in our gardnen spin their webs so articulate Smile

shaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum