South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How To Make Awesome Live Rock Pillars..

Go down

How To Make Awesome Live Rock Pillars.. Empty How To Make Awesome Live Rock Pillars..

Post  DeadSled 11th February 2010, 3:52 am

So, i've seen a few people do this around the place and since i'm planning for my 6ft upgrade to my marine system.. i figured i'd kill a few hours and make a sweet pillar. Keep in mind, mine sits about a foot and a half high.. but you can make it as short, high, and wide as you damn well please.

Heres how to do it.. Start off with a few bits of PVC pipe, and some bends. I'd of preferred to just use 90 degree elbows, but its all stuff i had lying around so its easier to just use whats around since it doesn't cost me anything..

All you need to do, is assemble it to resemble what i've done here. If you want, you could have a T peice in the middle with the main pipe, then a T on each side and have the PVC go all the way around it so its a much better base, but in my case.. the first piece of rock i used supports it well enough.

How To Make Awesome Live Rock Pillars.. L_6c055eb8235443c7a4fd186124be5d19

Next, get out your electric drill (or use a drill press, which imo.. would of been SO much easier. I just couldn't be bothered dragging bucketloads of rocks up to the shed. Too cramped in there anyway with my Roadster in the way..) and drill some holes in the rocks so that you can slip your rocks over the main pipe. Don't have to drill in the center every time, i did a few off center to make some bits hang out really far like platforms. Entirely up to you..

You'll need a drill of some form, and some concrete drill bits. I used a 5mm originally but got sick of that and just used a 12mm (biggest we had..) and drilled four holes and then drilled out the middle bits to get the holes the right size.

Anyway, once you've drilled your holes just assemble until you've got it how you want it. I still haven't quite finished, i need to get some more coral glue / paste stuff and will be filling a lot of the bits that you see the pipe, as well as joining a bunch of rocks together.

This is the end result.. Or at least, where i'm up to.

How To Make Awesome Live Rock Pillars.. L_90c70e38a7824f4eadf0200a90a504ae

How To Make Awesome Live Rock Pillars.. L_07e4745d931b4b3783e95a966508ee22

How To Make Awesome Live Rock Pillars.. L_15e358e2c8354f6d91601dade5406c95
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down