South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Algae scrubber or refugium,which one?

2 posters

Go down

Algae scrubber or refugium,which one? Empty Algae scrubber or refugium,which one?

Post  wayne 26th January 2009, 6:20 am

Ok guys what is a refugium? and the same with an algae scrubber. Shocked

I read a post on English or a South African forum, I forget and saw liquidgs response and I am curious as to what are these things, don’t get me wrong I think I have an idea, I may not understand it and that worries me. Sad

What is the knowledge on this type of thing as it sounds like it might be important to have one on my set up, which is coming?

It has to work really well, I want some serious success with it and money isn’t a huge issue with my soon to be hobby.
Very Happy
wayne
wayne

Back to top Go down

Algae scrubber or refugium,which one? Empty algae

Post  Admin 26th January 2009, 9:28 am

Hi Wayne.

There are distinct differences between the two.

The refugium was originally a place of refuge for many forms of life and as time went on the understanding of this took on a life of its own, so to speak.

The algae, to do a good job on assisting the conditioning of your water has to scrub (absorb from the water) the water of impurities, such as sulpher,phosphate,nitrate,ammonia and than convert and release as beneficial substances in to the tank water and some planktonic sized creatures as well for food.

We have a good diagram of a practical scrubber and a pic or two,I will get one of the guys to PM it to you.

cheers

Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Algae scrubber or refugium,which one? Empty sounds great

Post  wayne 28th January 2009, 8:40 am

That would be great. bounce

Could you send an explanation with it as I may not be able to fully understand it. Shocked

You guys are very helpful!

I keep thinking, what will be the catch.
cheers
wayne
wayne

Back to top Go down

Algae scrubber or refugium,which one? Empty Re: Algae scrubber or refugium,which one?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down