South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Painted Crayfish Diet

3 posters

Go down

Painted Crayfish Diet Empty Painted Crayfish Diet

Post  travc83 13th June 2011, 6:00 am

Hi,

I recently got a small painted crayfish (Panuliris Versicolor) and have been having trouble getting it to eat anything. I've tried flakes and there is a lot of algae, small crabs, invertebrates, coral etc in the tank but it doesn't seem to eat anything.

The info I've read on the net says that they are scavengers and will eat anything.. but that hasn't been the case for this one.

Anyone got any ideas on what to feed a smalled painted cray?

travc83

Back to top Go down

Painted Crayfish Diet Empty Re: Painted Crayfish Diet

Post  Dazza 13th June 2011, 8:26 am

Hey Travc83
A mate had one he caught in a crab pot and it did really well on marine meats, like muscles,oysters,cunjivoe,that sought of stuff to begin with a small bit weighted down offered near its hiding hole just as the lights go out to get it started, that worked for him.
Make sure it has some where to hide, water from 20c to 26c, they don't seem to like it to warm, current past its hiding spot and make up or buy some fresh marine meat foods with some nori in the mix.
They are not real scavengers like the southern crays or dedicated tropical ones, their diet changes as they get older to mainly sea unchins,muscles,cunjivoe,algae and so on.
Try a fresh frozen mix from the lfs or make your own, my mate, made his own after some time and it grew too big for his tank and you can imagine the outcome of that. Laughing
They eat at night until they settle down as well trav.
Good luck, cool colours on them hey.

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 13th June 2011, 12:08 pm

Very good advice dazza.

How did you get onto the cunjivoe,we have found it to be the best food for more or less all marine aquarium life.
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  travc83 1st July 2011, 5:51 pm

Painted Crayfish Diet Small11

Thanks for your advice Dazza.. managed to get it to eat some squid and it already is looking a lot more lively. I don't think the ghost shrimp was as pleased that the painted cray has started eating Smile

Will get some cunjivoe next trip to the coast. Cheers

travc83

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza 2nd July 2011, 1:17 am

Awsome travc.
My mate got the food thing for painteds off the aandtsociety guys before they had this forum.
He's older than me Razz
Cool pic travc.

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down