South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Middle reef dive site.

5 posters

Go down

Middle reef dive site. Empty Middle reef dive site.

Post  liquidg 24th May 2012, 8:04 am

This day was finally a clear water day so I could get some HD video of some beautiful marine life for my better half.

The video won’t be unloaded it would eat up all my internet credit plus it was for my wife any way.

These are the pics from the day.

I just got the bottom as Dave jumped in, this is his decent.

Middle reef dive site. Dave-1-

Middle reef dive site. Dave-2-

Middle reef dive site. Dave-3-

Middle reef dive site. Dave-4-

Middle reef dive site. Dave-5-

Some the life in the area.

Middle reef dive site. Yellow-xmas-tree-worm-

Middle reef dive site. Spiral-coral-

Middle reef dive site. South-seas-pair-

latz

Middle reef dive site. Small-latz-pair-

Middle reef dive site. Lat-and-bubble-

Middle reef dive site. Anemone-crab-

Middle reef dive site. Biscuit-star-

Middle reef dive site. Anthia-school-

Middle reef dive site. Reef-veiw-

Nice sized parrotfish.

Middle reef dive site. Wrasse-3-

Middle reef dive site. Large-parrot-

Just after it swam over a lat.

Middle reef dive site. Lat-and-wrasse-tail-

Back to top Go down

Middle reef dive site. Empty Re: Middle reef dive site.

Post  mykez 24th May 2012, 1:14 pm

thanks for sharing liquidg. Very jealous that I can't scuba due to my athsma and man I want one of those south seas wrasse.
mykez
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 24th May 2012, 1:34 pm

Looks like some decent vis - just need to train Dave to wait around in one spot for you ! Very Happy
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 25th May 2012, 5:16 am

Yeh I can’t believe he did that,got bored and went for a drive!

The engine must have started while I was over the drop off as I didn’t hear anything down there of an engine running.

The other diver down on his third dive, I know I said I would stay on top of the reef, but it was my third dive in two and half hours, first at 60 to 105 feet, the second 45 to 60 feet and the third got out of hand to try and get the right video for my other half and ended up with me in a 100 feet for a few minutes to finish off the HD video with some deep water life in the video, on that dive I videoed the whole dive, it filled the rest of my memory card.

Now I needed to decompress and there was no boat there to hang onto, so between the current and no rope to hold me in place, I had to go up to find the boat, thinking because the anchor wasn’t in its spot, something bad may have happened.

If I had known the boat may not be there for when I return, that’s fine if I knew so I wouldn’t go deep at all as I was already past the need for decompressing on this dive, but that’s on generalising scales.

Oh well I was lucky and only had the early slight sickness of the bends and no furthet, luckily!

I think if I hadn’t lost 20 kilos a year or so back I would be in the chamber that night!

That won’t happen again!

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 25th May 2012, 5:32 am

mikezea6 wrote:thanks for sharing liquidg. Very jealous that I can't scuba due to my athsma and man I want one of those south seas wrasse.

Mate,they are in the shallows where you are going free diving on Sunday, that’s where I have gotten some in the past.

The last time i went to the spot to free dive that you are going to on the surf kayak, they are there, I still have one from over a month back I am playing with types of foods with.

I must admit though in the shallows they are smallish, one to 3 inches, as they grow they move deeper, but the big ones are hard to settle in to tank life any way, so they are good breeders for the areas south.

Be prepared for a chase, they are worse then the clown surgeon to catch, oh and there are still quite a few blue surgeons still to pick off in 20 to 30 feet where you are going as well, easy as!

The southwest corner has lots there in 20 to 25 feet,Danny and i were there last time and saw around 12 there when free diving for a small clown trigger, saw them ran out of breath went up and lost the trigger,so i had to get one blue surgeon to not feel so bad, they are as thick as a brick, could have caught them all easily one at a time, just one that day was heaps for me,Danny wanted it,so that was cool,good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post  mykez 25th May 2012, 7:01 am

So blue tangs where we're going Sunday or the paddle out spot? I think I'm blind as a bat, some things seem to allude my attention. Never seen a south seas wrasse there or one of those pearlscale mimic tangs I want so bad. They must be wary of my skills and not hang around. Twisted Evil Recon you could point out a few things to me on Sunday? Not sure where you saw more of those longnose butterflies last time either.
mykez
mykez

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 25th May 2012, 8:13 am

The paddle out for blue tangs and where we will be staying at are the mimics,its just the luck of the draw with the mimics mate,sorry.

There were another two at the last area we were at last time,you all left early to head home and danny,myself and Scott went to another area and there were two there,no one could be bothered with them,so they may be still there,who knows.

I will draw you a mud map of where the paddle out to blue tangs are so you can have a go at them on sunday,see you there nice and early,sunday is supposed to be 8c in the morning,eerrrrr!

Your paddle out spot,though there is a little swell,with the predicted westerlies will be possibly better there then where we will be staying in ,the vis that is.

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza 1st June 2012, 8:04 am

Shocked Shocked That water looks as clear as air,awsome dude.

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  ovakil 9th June 2012, 9:40 am

mikezea6 wrote:thanks for sharing liquidg. Very jealous that I can't scuba due to my athsma and man I want one of those south seas wrasse.

Are you sure about your asthma,get a medical from a dive doctor,you may be surprised.Lots of people with asthma (including myself) dive.
Cheers

ovakil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down