South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium.

2 posters

Go down

Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium. Empty Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium.

Post  liquidg 9th January 2013, 1:42 pm

These two algae, the orange are the delisea and the blue is dictyota, are very beautiful algae for the display aquarium.

The orange algae are extremely common on the sunshine coast here in Queensland due to its high nutrient and sediment rich waters.

The spot I was waiting to clear up where this algae is abundant was taking a long time and while we were on a club collecting trip a little further north then where it is common, the rough seas must have dislodged some and it was floating past Danny and he knew I wanted some and grabbed it and from there my tank is lit up with fire like colours now.

The benefits of varied algae colours, a part from beautiful additions to the aquarium is what seems to be that they support extra colours for the acropora to algae clades to take on board as symbiotic algae spores.

This is an observation, not actual science.

A few sections of it sit against the sps and do not bother them all all, the coral doesn’t kill the algae and the algae has no affect on the coral.

Obviously if the algae was to grow and shade the corals it will be time for a trim then.

The way these were added has been said to be impossible to work by that sites marine biologist again, yet there they are all in full bloom and thriving.

The blue is from open oceans reefs, small portions of it were cut up with scissors and let loose like fish food in the aquarium, the same with the orange algae.

Both are springing up all over the place as expected.

All alage imports and converts nutrients to some degree, to have them this amazingly coloured is a large plus in my opinion.

Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium. Blue-algae-and--ascidian-_zps0188aee1

Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium. Orange-algae-1-_zpsdb932a39

Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium. Orange-algae-2-_zpsddd4a1b6

Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium. Orange-algae-3-_zps16f81220

Back to top Go down

Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium. Empty Re: Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium.

Post  finfan 9th January 2013, 11:10 pm

They looks great Shocked

Good to here they are doing well in your system - they sure add some very nice colour cheers

Does the fire orange have a root system that buries or does it attach to a flat surface?

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium. Empty Re: Delisea pulcha and Dictyota bartayresiana algae in the marine display aquarium.

Post  liquidg 10th January 2013, 7:04 am

It attaches,so you have to have it go to spore in the tank to get the best results.

The grazing bristle tooth tang i have has a nip at it as well so its not entirely toxic.

The blue algae that’s doing really well in four areas now, I cant have any biscuit sea stars with it, they mow it down real fast.

There is another colour of the same algae common near the cray and acan spot up the coast, when it is calm enough one weekend i am grabbing some of it and putting it in the tank as well.

It has a yellow base to orange to red, a bit more impressive then this one.

I have had this type of algae in the past,(not the blue) i had not seen it till a few years back,now that the oceans around here are higher in nutrients its all over so thats why i didnt notice it before.

The orange algae never did real well in the past due to excessive phosphorus when I stoped using phosphate sponge, so other more invasive algae would grow over it and suffocate the algae out.

My moderately eutrophic system that the biased site says is no good, seems to grow everything really well, what a surprise,lol,lol.

Even the supposed reef gurus are turning against all nutrients striped out of the waters, the problem is its not easy to run a system like this with a skimmer, it ruins how it functions and you can’t run a reef tank with out a skimmer or regular water changes,lol,lol.

They are so stuck in the past and have a serious (buy it) dependency due to not understanding it at all.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down