South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

breeding shrimps?

2 posters

Go down

breeding shrimps? Empty breeding shrimps?

Post  mandy&son 18th September 2009, 10:00 am

For just over a week now my son has had some little shrimps in a very small aquarium and he wants to breed them. Rolling Eyes

Your admin was kind enough to tell us how to get some from the foreshore at wynum, thanks again for that; I have relatives there so that was very helpful.

There is a knack to this collecting isn’t there, my relatives children go there all the time and hunt for little animals and crabs and they did not know they were there at all.

I would never have known that they could be found in that way, none of us would have thought of that. Your admin said it was best not to display how so I won’t.

My question is how do you get these shrimps to breed? they are the ones with the red lines over a clear body and are called pep shrimps? Very Happy

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

breeding shrimps? Empty Re: breeding shrimps?

Post  ashleyt 18th September 2009, 12:48 pm

I have herd they can be raised on good quality flake foods.
I have seen other set ups with a false floor of something with small holes in it and the juveniles find a home under the parents in a rubble base and eat the same food as the parents.

The parents have a little live rock on the false floor to live in and on and the current making pump has a small micron sack over it to catch the young ones and not chew them up.

I think it is the same if you have a skimmer and you must need a skimmer,i would think so.

You have a cool project to work on mandy,can you say how it goes if you try it? Very Happy

ashleyt

Back to top Go down