South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need higher volume return pump.. Whats a good one to use?

2 posters

Go down

Need higher volume return pump.. Whats a good one to use? Empty Need higher volume return pump.. Whats a good one to use?

Post  DeadSled 7th March 2010, 2:37 pm

So, my current return pump is a whopping 2500L/ph and i just had a look at the amount coming through the drain pipe into the sump, and its like trickling. I'm not happy with it, i want it to be gushing water into there and i want some sort of ridiculously huge turnover rate.

So, in saying that.. where is a good place to buy a return pump, would a pool shop or bunnings be the place to go? I know a LFS is just gona charge a ridiculous amount for one so i'm thinking somewhere more industrial might be the go.

Any advice is appreciated.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Need higher volume return pump.. Whats a good one to use? Empty Re: Need higher volume return pump.. Whats a good one to use?

Post  Fish-fan 1st April 2010, 6:53 am

Check out utility pumps at Aquariums R Us. These pumps need not necessarily be submerged in water (ask to be sure) but can be free standing (with a bit of extra plumbing) and rate from 1500l/ph to 7500+l/ph and range from $60 to $195.

Our good sponsors Age of Aquariums sell a similar, but not same, product. Model JHQ-5500 rated at 6800l/ph and costing $110.

Have you cleaned your hoses lately - this might help especially if you are using clear PVC tubing. The build-up of algae on the inner walls causes little eddies all along the inner surface, making the water momentarily tumble and flow back on itself, this action greatly retards the flow of water as it has to nearly travel twice as far to come out at the other end.

Fish-fan

Back to top Go down

Need higher volume return pump.. Whats a good one to use? Empty Re: Need higher volume return pump.. Whats a good one to use?

Post  DeadSled 1st April 2010, 7:35 am

Yes, the lines are fine.

I've decided to run two tanks and two sumps off the same pump so i'm now looking at something around 8000 - 10000 lph and the two sumps will be drilled and using all pvc plumbing.

I'm going to have to get off my butt one of these days and check out a few irrigation joints and see what they have. I also had no idea Aquariums R Us had pumps at all. Interesting..
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Fish-fan 1st April 2010, 8:17 am

Pool pumps and agricultural pumps are rather costly and chew up a lot of power and it's also recommended that they don't run 24/7. Your best bet would be to run 2 utility pumps side by side, going from two 25mm outlets to one 40mm outlet via a Y junction or T piece making sure the 2 outlet pipes from both pumps are the same length using pool fittings. This setup would be far more cost effective.

Fish-fan

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 1st April 2010, 11:36 am

As far as being cost effective, doesn't bother me because i don't pay the power bill.

I want it to be one whole system, which is why i wanted one pump otherwise i would of just had two separate tanks / sumps. Also if i have two pumps and one cuts out or decides to only be 50% working like my current pump has done in the past, the whole thing is going to overflow somewhere. One pump makes it 10000 times easier because then you don't have to equalise everything.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down