South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups.

4 posters

Go down

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. Empty My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups.

Post  DeadSled 10th May 2009, 12:32 pm

Jeff asked me to put this up, seeing as it appears there isn't much else being posted on here.

I've just finished last weekend doing a new sump setup for my 75g / Four foot tank.. i originally had one 1.5ft tank, then went to 2 x 1.5 tanks one waterfalling into the other, due to my stand having a brace in the middle.. and now i've gone all out and put a 48 x 15w x 18h tank into our sauna / store room next door to the study where my tank is.. and drilled through the wall twice so i can have my overflow and return lines going through the walls.

This works well because not only is it a major increase in water volume, i also get a coral propogation area (which i'll get around to setting up some other time.. Hot Rods are taking up too much of my money at the moment so fish stuff is suffering because of it, but thats how it goes) and now the only place it can leak is if i did a shit job on siliconing the pipes going through the wall, and evidently i did a good job cause theres no wet spots on the floor.

I also used to have a problem with salt creep, and bad.. that seems to of been eliminated now as well. Yay!

So anyway, onto the pics.

First sump setup..

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. L_2b745c564dfe4dddb5e60ea1c160f84d

Second..

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. L_c6561f652c624d81bb5e30aa941ba868

And i'll eventually get pics of the new setup when my phone isn't acting up.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. Empty whats the light?

Post  latzlover 10th May 2009, 2:51 pm

Can you say what the little light is and what it does,what is the spectrum,intensity,watts, i am curious?

latzlover

Back to top Go down

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. Empty Re: My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups.

Post  DeadSled 10th May 2009, 4:17 pm

Wouldn't have the faintest of any specs on the light, just a $30 light from the LFS that they use on gold fish bowls and stuff. Helps the caulerpa grow.. apparently..
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. Empty ok

Post  latzlover 11th May 2009, 1:30 pm

I will try the shops.
I have a nano and i am looking for a new light for it and this looked good.
I will have a look around.

latzlover

Back to top Go down

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. Empty Re: My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups.

Post  DeadSled 11th May 2009, 1:33 pm

My nano tank was a 2fter, and i used a 2ft light for that. If yours is smaller, i'm pretty sure you can get smaller lights.

I want to find a really small MH, so if you find one let me know Wink

Nick.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. Empty lighting

Post  wayne 28th May 2009, 1:45 pm

These guys are doing something with LED lighting,you should speak to them in this club they have!
wayne
wayne

Back to top Go down

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. Empty normal household type compact fluro

Post  neman 28th May 2009, 2:17 pm

hi guys dont know if you know this but you can use the new compact fluro type light globes that we buy for our houses i have 2 therye 23watt==125 watt from woolworths cool daylight 4100k spectrum that would be like 250watts on your nano without the heat issue i have used this before on one of my small tanks60cm deep seahorse tank. i think you can find the proper daylight spectrum of 6500k aswell. these compact fluro globes give off a white light rather then a yellowish colour like the older type globes used in our homes

im sure i use to have a globe of that sort but i lost or broke it

neman

Back to top Go down

My New Sump, and Pics of the old setups. Empty interesting

Post  wayne 28th May 2009, 3:43 pm

There may be an issue with the Led and metal haloi having a reflector in them for directing most of the available light down.

Good points though, there are definite advantages to low power usage, cool temps while still retaining high out put.
Makes sense!
wayne
wayne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down