South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hi reefers

5 posters

Go down

Hi reefers Empty Hi reefers

Post  trent@78 4th May 2011, 11:36 am

That thread about the Moorish idol has me curious now. Very Happy

I had given up on getting one of them, every where else it’s a given they don’t make it, others say, put them in the too hard basket and here it says that may not be the case.
I have matured a reef aquarium and want some surgeons-tangs, puffers for the wife, as you do and a Moorish idol, to begin with.
The tank is 4x20x20,lots of matured live rock, I do a little vodka dosing, seems to work, red sea skimmer, LED and t5 lighting, with a large sump.
What should I do or have to keep these types of fish.
I am not into corals so much, just a little with some morphs, just basic invertebrates and a few blue green chromis I started with.
The tank is doing great, all tests are fine, just need some tips on keeping those fish as I build on the numbers to around six fish,that should do me.
Thanks any advice on keeping those ones guys.
cheers

trent@78

Back to top Go down

Hi reefers Empty idol food

Post  wayne 5th May 2011, 1:22 pm

Just thought I would cruze by,life has changed a s—t load and fishnthings,the tank is gone, the mates are still with marines, I veg out in front of their tanks.
Hey man,check out these two links.
The pellet foods are awesome and you can throw in some hikari,frozen mysis and spirulina brine shrimp.
http://hikariusa.com/diets/marine

http://www.sera.de/en/products/marine-aquarium/food-for-saltwater-fish-and-invertebrates/sera-marin-granulat.html
They are cool for idols,tangs and surgeons, don’t know much about the puffers, sorry dude.
I have seen the idols started on muscles and oysters than onto these types of foods; don’t know what Cunjivoe is, so good luck reefer.
cheers cheers cheers
wayne
wayne

Back to top Go down

Hi reefers Empty Re: Hi reefers

Post  fishnthings 6th May 2011, 7:18 am

Like wise Trent ! . good that some are able to keep these Idols in captivity with some success by the sounds as the aquarium shop have steered us away from them when we asked about purchasing with not so much knowledge maybe?

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 6th May 2011, 1:21 pm

As with most marine fish that are kept in a tight display,(shop tanks) the stress damage is sometimes inevitable, for idols as well.
Not saying all marine fish will die a stress related death with what you buy, you just need to be switched on when you buy and your tank water parameters, excellent, especially KH,very important!!
Marks tank has a constant PH of 78 and nitrate of up to 400,not what should be for marines, but his tank is booming, corals and fish, not some inverts like feather stars, the nitrate knocks them over.

If you don’t mind the slightly expensive or some what intricate feeding needs, idols if chosen properly, best not get an adult, can be a pretty and a harmless marine pet for the hobby.

If you can’t catch your own from a not so pristine habitat, get one from the shops that is not a full adult and looks good and take the advice from all these comments and you should be laughing Trent.

Ianqld seems to have some good success with the puffers if he doesn’t comment, I will ask him on the over the next few days what he does and put it in this thread, a few of us are going on a collecting trip, Ian included.

Cunjivoe is found at a substantial low tide or seen snorkelling(free diving) in oceans with temps from 3oc ish down to around 10c,so in most oceans with in the swell zone, any ocean waters, estuaries or not, where there is any swell movement and tidal changes of a size and not much freshwater influence, those brown, sought of hairy lumps on the rocks that when you step on them they squirt water up your leg,thats them!

Just remember, they graze. So lots of regular small feeds. Mark has a auto feeder for his pellets.

Back to top Go down

Post  blackblennie 7th May 2011, 12:37 am

There are three fish I know are just to random,firstly the topic fish,than the Acanthurus achilles and the Pygoplites diacanthus.
I have tried each of these, no way to all three.
I vote no to idols.
No

blackblennie

Back to top Go down

Post  fishnthings 7th May 2011, 7:10 am

Hi Blackblennie
Will need to get our marine book out to understand all those long scientific words you have typed there lol
Which species do you have , and what would you recommend as the easiest fish that you've found to care for when first starting out in marines ?

fishnthings

Back to top Go down

Post  blackblennie 9th May 2011, 11:30 am

Thank for the advice guys would be nice,I think I will give i would go with the tips on here.
Keep up the no bull forum,love the collecting trips.
Very Happy

blackblennie

Back to top Go down

Post  trent@78 18th May 2011, 6:58 am

Sorry Blackblennie,I have been so busy of late,you might want to fix your wording though Smile .
Thanks for the advice, it’s just there is so much on the net and other forums of negativity towards keeping the idols, that’s all.
I will give it some thought.
The forums look different Shocked ?

trent@78

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down