South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with white spot and favourite fish

2 posters

Go down

Help with white spot and favourite fish Empty Help with white spot and favourite fish

Post  Kate 30th September 2011, 4:18 pm

Could I please get some help on two things one is from my wish list and the next is a pain in the #*&@#
The first one is how hard is it to keep moorish idle I would like to get one
The second is how can I avoid this annoying white spot that comes than eases off and comes back its making it hard to sleep with the worry
Thank you bounce

Kate

Back to top Go down

Help with white spot and favourite fish Empty Re: Help with white spot and favourite fish

Post  liquidg 1st October 2011, 3:06 am

Hi Kate.

These are very common issues that are quite easy to solve.

The Moorish idol is dependant on a few things above all the others, there has to be sponges present for grazing on, they start feeding best via cunjevoi still on the outer casing and than add dehusked peas at a rate of say, two at a time until the idol starts eating them, you can remove the outer casing of them your self and freeze for on going use.

Attach some fishing line with a weight to it or a feeding peg for your cunjevoi, muscle, oyster suspended above the floor of your tank.

Any cunjevoi or most of these foods will disrupt the PH if left in the tank for more than 4 or 5 hours uneaten!

Put in things like opened oysters, muscles and sushi wrap; the only thing that won’t overly affect your PH is sushi wrap for grazing out of all these food types.

Make sure you get as young an idol as possible and the idols are susceptible to white spot, due to the two species that hybridised to become the idol, a tang and chaetodon.

A part from when you place these foods in the tank for your fish, include these things in the fish food mix you make and the idol will do well.

White spot is from the once named family of protozoa/protozoan, this group is referred to as protists these days and is part of the eukaryotic microorganisms in your bio filter community which means they are in your aquarium at all times, no matter what!

These life forms are part of the next step up from bacteria!

Their preferred place of habitation is in your substrate as they wait and react to excitation from the stress signals given off by your fish.

If you do not have any kind of in tank substrate you have removed most of the possibility of the protist, white spot!

Just keep your waters KH at a good stable level, which equates to stable PH as well.

Remember when the lights go out the algae in your aquarium is down grading your water parameters to some degree.

A small algae area remote to your tank with lights on when your tank lights are off an a small night light sought of for your fish will reduce a lot of your tank life’s stress.

When your fish do get a touch of white spot, reduce feedings to near zero for a few days to increase water quality,if you can include some fresh garlic in the food mix to boost imune systems,these will assist in protecting your fish a little and removing the stress that excited the white spot to your fish in the first place.

When tank life of any kind is suffering,PH buff your tank-PH is every thing and affects very thing!!!!

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Help with white spot and favourite fish Empty Re: Help with white spot and favourite fish

Post  Kate 1st October 2011, 5:30 am

Cunjivoe,whats that and why do you say its so good
I think ive heard of it but not sure
All this information you replied to me with where did you get your information
bounce

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 1st October 2011, 12:20 pm

Check this link on cunjevoi.

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t972-cunjevoi-information-on-wherehow-and-marine-fish-food#3250

I get my info from many years of trial and errors, lots of errors lots of life from many years of collecting and constant experimenting on filter builds, tank builds, bio media types, food types and how anything reacts to anything!

Every thing and anything I could think of to try on any thing and everything, was all my trial and errors learning curve.

Plus I used ask who ever is in charge of ichthyology at the Q museum for the marine biologists contact details on the species subject at the time, that’s Jeff Johnson, he is the third one in charge ichthyology in the many years I have been contacting the museum for the right contact to ask about a subject.

I try these days to use scientific terms and Latin names which is against what I used to prefer not to do,the change in my ways of conveying info is that there are so many incorrect opinions on the net from people that are sometimes quoting others not so great findings or are just their opinions.

These people are looked up to due to the complex terms and latin names used to back up what is said.

I use what help full intelligent professional people have passed on to me and a great deal of my own hands on experience.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down