South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

best fish food and best coral food

+2
Kitiara
clevelandcallum
6 posters

Go down

best fish food and best coral food Empty best fish food and best coral food

Post  clevelandcallum 5th October 2011, 12:27 pm

hi guys im just asking what everyone is using in their tanks at the moment,

im just using brine shrimp, coral snow and some dry food called nutrafin max witch has the appearance of instant coffee

whats everyone else using ??

cheers
callum

clevelandcallum

Back to top Go down

best fish food and best coral food Empty Re: best fish food and best coral food

Post  Kitiara 5th October 2011, 1:00 pm

Brine shrimp are pretty useless - very little nutritional value unless they are newly hatched or enriched.

I use new life spectrum marine pellets, home made frozen food and Coral Werx phytoplankton. Occasionally I use a commercial frozen preparation (brine shrimp/mysis/krill) as a treat.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  clevelandcallum 5th October 2011, 1:22 pm

ok , whats the home made frozen food made from , im guessing you mean u make something up to put in the tank but i mean what is it?

clevelandcallum

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara 5th October 2011, 2:09 pm

Home made food can be made from a variety of things. Most are based on marina mix. Mine is normally (it changes a little depending on what i have available) marina mix, nori, cyclopeeze, red sea phyton, freeze dried krill and garlic - I run this through the food processor, add a little water until I am happy with the consistancy, spread the resulting goo approx a cm thick in a baking dish and freeze. I break/cut appropriate size lumps off and defrost in some tank water, break up the lump ( it tends to stay in it's block) and pour into tank for their night time feed. This does both fish and coralsand I normally add the liquid photoplankton in just before I tip it into the tank

Breakfast is pellets

Last edited by Kitiara on 5th October 2011, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 5th October 2011, 2:48 pm

Very nice kit!

I use very similar for everything in the tank.

I just defrost mine one at a time for each day that are made in the ice cube trays in some tank water than pour the cup of food and water into a squeeze bottle.

I add heaps of marine salt to the mix so it does not develope any bacteria while in the fridge and there are some trace elements in the mix.

One bag of cubed food i make lasts over a year.

Than take the bottle from the fridge as I need it and shake the bottle and give it a squeeze into the tank into the current as often as I can.

I do this 10 to 30 times in the tubs and reef tank each lights on time and if I can a very small amount at night in the reef tank until bed, this is for night feeders like sunburst corals, shrimp,etc.

I always include cunjevoi in the mix.

Once a month i get some varied algaes and put them in hot water,not boiling water and than hang them in a bag in the flow prefiltered before the filtration to allow their trace elements to become part of the water.

Sunday is the filters day off,lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  clevelandcallum 5th October 2011, 11:24 pm

ah ok, would you be able to point me in the right direction to buy those ingredients?

clevelandcallum

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara 6th October 2011, 12:18 am

marinara mix - a good seafood store would have the best quality, or you can be lazy and just get it from your local supermarket.
Nori - supermarket
Garlic - supermarket (of course)
Other ingredients - a good LFS (Age of Aquariums is where I get most of my dry goods, they sell online also)

As for the cunjevoi - you collect that from rockpools etc

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Dazza 6th October 2011, 1:42 am

Kitiara wrote:marinara mix - a good seafood store would have the best quality, or you can be lazy and just get it from your local supermarket.
Nori - supermarket
Garlic - supermarket (of course)
Other ingredients - a good LFS (Age of Aquariums is where I get most of my dry goods, they sell online also)

As for the cunjevoi - you collect that from rockpools etc

awsome info Kitiara,i will follow your lead as well cheers

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  clevelandcallum 6th October 2011, 3:30 am

Okk and just for the novice among us wat is nori?? And wat is cunjevoi??? Thanks callum

clevelandcallum

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchl 6th October 2011, 3:49 am

How good is that, been trawling the forums for some good feeding advice and here it is. Very Happy
For fish and corals in one food, your mix will be copied for my reef tank as well Kitiara.
Callum nori is sushi wrap you can buy from the supermarket.

mitchl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate 6th October 2011, 8:36 am

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara 6th October 2011, 1:53 pm

For home made food some people put in roe (fish eggs) also. You can put in pretty much any commercial fish/coral food additive - it all depends on what you want to achieve or how much you want to spend. My mix is never the same twice running (I don't measure, normally start with a base of approx 500g of marinara mix and add random amounts of other ingredients from there)

Just remember don't put chemical supplements in the food (calcium, iodine etc etc) as it is better to dose them separately. Keep it food based and if feeding corals as well include planktons etc for microscopic stuff (the food processor/blender will also create finer particles for corals).

Including vegetable (nori and planktons) as well as the meaty (seafood) based stuff gives a more balanced diet and the garlic is an appetite stimulant as well as a mild natural antibiotic (I use fresh garlic, normally 3 - 4 cloves and my food does have a garlic odor to it)

It'll keep in the freezer for quite some time and you will be surprised at how long 500g of marinara + other ingredients will last the average tank.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down