South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The ultimate algae for nutrient-waste managment areas.

Go down

The ultimate algae for nutrient-waste managment areas. Empty The ultimate algae for nutrient-waste managment areas.

Post  liquidg 15th October 2011, 1:06 pm

This totally invasive algae has it all, lots of grunt, resistant to algae’s growing on it, nothing much eats it, needs no substrate to excel in growth and as far as I can tell, rips the nutrients out of the water like nothing else.

Since I have had this unusual algae achieving excellent growth amongst the others, the corals and zoas are changing to amazingly beautiful colours (it may be coincidence),the red algae’s here and there in the scrubber have nearly gone as well.

I do not use a skimmer!

I found this stuff at an area at the bay side that I don’t look at much and have never seen this exact variety before anywhere,but as far as i know it is Caulerpa cactoides!

My wife actually spotted it as we walked around looking for algae and I thought from a distance as she called out, same old caulerpa from back there, no way, this stuff is amazing, but be dammed if I would put it in the tank, it would take over.

One of the club members wants some when she gets proper lights over her algae area,thats no worries as I remove some once a fortnight now as it takes over and tries to grow out of the water and begins to cover exits, it grows faster than I can kill it with hot water, the trimmed sections that is and reapply it as dead tissue to break down for valuable nutrients.

If you see some, get it, but do not put it in your display tank and make sure you have serious pre filtering after it, you do not want this to get into your tank!!!!

The ultimate algae for nutrient-waste managment areas. Scrubber-algae-

The ultimate algae for nutrient-waste managment areas. Scrubber-3-

Back to top Go down