South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snails and hermits collected

2 posters

Go down

Snails and hermits collected Empty Snails and hermits collected

Post  kindcorals 2nd November 2012, 4:33 am

I just wanted to clarify that the snails shown here and in the "Clean up crew" page are reef safe and not the ones with the spiral lumps on the shells. I think I saw a bunch of these on the rocks yesterday and would like to put a couple in my tank.

Snails and hermits collected Snails--1

We also saw some hermits that were not pictured on that thread. They were pretty plain colored, like a brownish color with grey and black striping on them. Any idea if these are reef safe, as far as hermits go..

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Snails and hermits collected Empty Re: Snails and hermits collected

Post  liquidg 2nd November 2012, 2:08 pm

Those snails are cool, they may climb out, but hopefully not.

We used to call those ones turbo snails.

Any hermit you collect at the top of the low tide zone will consume algae-cyano,that’s part of why they are there and hunting for whats died that came out of the water at the lowest tide, the yellow claw is a smaller and better species though.

Any hermit becomes an issue if it can up size with other shells, they are shocking killers at night if they can get big enough and they need to up size in shells over time to do that.

See the pic below,the shell type these yellow claws have killed and are now using,they are the borers of other shell fish,when they are alive of course.

Snails and hermits collected Yellow-claw-hermits-
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  kindcorals 3rd November 2012, 5:33 am

Thanks for the information, I might go collect a couple of each for my tanks. I'll grab some larger shells for the hermits also and see if I can find any of the yellow claw ones.

kindcorals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down