South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need help with little salt water tank

3 posters

Go down

need help with little salt water tank Empty need help with little salt water tank

Post  mandy&son 2nd June 2009, 3:37 am

I have a small tank for my son and it has been doing fine for several months.
We had some electrical porblems in our house and we lost power for some hours.
I am now very concerned and need help as the water is getting a little cloudy and my sons nemos a looking quite sick,what should i do? Sad

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

need help with little salt water tank Empty hey mandy

Post  Admin 2nd June 2009, 4:02 am

Hi Mandy.
I should get your tanks parameters; we will get to that later.
The first thing to realise is you have an ammonia prob,(that is most likely what this is),now the ammonia will screw up your PH,that is a serious problem.
For this the best thing to do quickly is if you can get or if you have some PH buffer powder,(seachem PH 8.3 marine buffer is a good one)follow the instructions and dose it slightly higher than the instructions say to do, very slightly and do not put all the recommended amount in at once, mix some in a cup slowly pour it in and so on until all the mix is in over say, a half hour.
Don’t pour it in near any life forms.
Get some (ammo lock) or similar form your LFS-that means aquarium-shop to neutralize the toxic affects of the ammonia given off by the dead tissue and dead bacteria in your nano aquarium because it was not running for a while. A nano is a name sometimes given to a small aquarium.
Do all this as quickly as you can.
Make sure the water is moving quite a bit in the tank.
Than get back to us!
Tell us what runs your tank and anything else you can.

Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

need help with little salt water tank Empty things are better

Post  mandy&son 2nd June 2009, 1:15 pm

Things are looking better. Very Happy
I was so worried,lucky my son hasn't noticed yet!
I will check on the tank in the morning,he has gone to bed and the tank light will go off soon.
Anything else to know about this.

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

need help with little salt water tank Empty excelent

Post  Admin 2nd June 2009, 1:23 pm

Sounds good Mandy.

Don't feed your tank creatures for a couple of days now.

Do a water change if you can of around a half of the tank as soon as possible,PH buff the water change and bring the heat of the water to similar to the tank water before you put it in if you can (not that important)and PH buff after the water change and use ammo lock once again after the water change.

Do every thing carefully and gently.

I will pm you one of the members mobile numbers so you can call them to get instant support,don't annoy them to much though,ok!
cheers

Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

need help with little salt water tank Empty thanks

Post  mandy&son 2nd June 2009, 2:15 pm

Thank you so much!
My son and i have been not been on our own for long and his,nano is it,tank helps him a great deal to be happy.
I will call this persons mobile when i have done what has been said.
Thanks again,by.

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

need help with little salt water tank Empty Re: need help with little salt water tank

Post  DeadSled 3rd June 2009, 10:51 am

If your local you should come down to one of the meetings perhaps? Their held every second tuesday, the next meeting is next Tuesday. PM Liquidg for more info.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

need help with little salt water tank Empty No thank you

Post  mandy&son 3rd June 2009, 2:10 pm

Thanks but no thanks,i don't have a car of my own and i'm not into groups of people and stuff.
I found your webste,than forum by doing a brisbane aquarium society search,lucky.
I have a ladys number to call now and i was forwarded your clubs details,i suppose just in case.
I do live localy,but not interested,thank you!
My sons tank is doing well now,few,saved!
I will keep intouch with your forum,i think i need to with my sons hobby.
Very Happy

mandy&son

Back to top Go down

need help with little salt water tank Empty Re: need help with little salt water tank

Post  DeadSled 3rd June 2009, 4:56 pm

Thats a shame you aren't interested in coming along to the meets. I too would usually feel the same, i'm not big on group activities.. well until i found this lot Laughing

Its definately worthwhile to come along, you learn a lot, the guys (and girls) are an awesome bunch of people, and the generosity is very much unheard of in days like these. The collecting trips are also a LOT of fun, and they definately save you a lot of money and the fish are MUCH hardier than your average store bought fish.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down