South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals.

2 posters

Go down

Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals. Empty Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals.

Post  DeadSled 14th July 2009, 2:58 pm

Ok, just got informed the pics have arrived in the thread.

So basically the first two are a colony of zoanthids, their very easy to frag. If you have a rock with a lot of them on it (generally every time i buy zoos from a shop, the rock is basically hollow..) and its a hollow rock, or very light.. all you have to do is put a screwdriver in or if you want to be more precise, a pair of pliers and cut through the rock until you have small peices.

Depending on whether or not they are the single polyp variety, or the matting type.. will dictate wether or not after you seperate the rock you might need to cut through inbetween the polyps with a stanley knife, or similar razor blade. Still, pretty easy to do.

Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals. Nick-

Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals. Nick1

The second coral, the Lord Howe.. was also very easy to frag. Not only these, but any similar coral (Lord Howe, Acans, Blasto's, Chalice, ect ect) can be fragged simply with a pair of wire cutter type pliers. On my coral, there was a dead spot between two living bits.. so all i had to do was get the wire cutters and chop the rock in the middle.

Same can be done for any hard coral, just make sure to aggitate beforehand so that it retracts and you can better see the skeloton / rock base.

Things like Acros and similar hard corals are much the same, just make sure that each frag has a few mouths to it, and it should survive, depending on your tanks water quality of course.

Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals. Nick2

Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals. Nick3
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals. Empty Re: Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals.

Post  deanpike 21st July 2009, 1:25 am

Then use aquakneedit from bunning to stick into position on rocks. cheers

Nice one & cheers for sharing DeadSled. Might have to do some frag swappn in the future!

deanpike

http://www.deanpike.com/marine/

Back to top Go down

Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals. Empty Re: Fragging Zoanthid and Lord Howe Corals.

Post  DeadSled 21st July 2009, 9:59 am

No worries mate.

Is that Aqua Kneed-It stuff the expensive stuff from pet shops? You can get the same thing from a hardware store. Its same length/diameter tube.. its a light green and the tube i think is yellow and grey or yellow and blue if i remember correctly. When you roll it up, it goes white, instead of grey like the LFS stuff. Its about half the price as well.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  deanpike 21st July 2009, 10:51 am

deanpike wrote:Then use aquakneedit from bunning...
its the cheap stuff $10-$15 bucks Cool Green and grey the colours, yeah the pet shop stuff is the same s$%t different bucket...

deanpike

http://www.deanpike.com/marine/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down