South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halymenia red algae killing coral polyps.

2 posters

Go down

Halymenia red algae killing coral polyps. Empty Halymenia red algae killing coral polyps.

Post  liquidg 28th August 2014, 3:03 pm

This Halymenia is from some that I collected a month or so back that is doing really well and flourishing!
When collecting algae you have to make sure you access the situation, in that you are not harming the over all numbers in that area, that’s the law!

The problem with red algae is its toxic content is quite high and will kill sps and affect lps if placed very close or actually touching this algae.

The first pic is it doing great and the second is a small section of the coral next door suffering stress and producing mucus in a bid to try and fend off the algae which is a waste of time and energy.
Growing on this mucus as shown by the bubbles is a regular form of aquarium algae and that will be these polyps eventual down fall.

Halymenia red algae killing coral polyps. Hal-1-_zps58b7984b

Halymenia red algae killing coral polyps. Hal-2-_zpscb415caa

Back to top Go down

Halymenia red algae killing coral polyps. Empty Re: Halymenia red algae killing coral polyps.

Post  pyrofish 31st August 2014, 12:43 am

I loved the colour of this in my tank. Unfortunately so did my tangs

pyrofish

Back to top Go down

Halymenia red algae killing coral polyps. Empty Re: Halymenia red algae killing coral polyps.

Post  liquidg 31st August 2014, 5:40 am

Oh bugger!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down