South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hey fellow aquarists,help!!

4 posters

Go down

hey fellow aquarists,help!! Empty hey fellow aquarists,help!!

Post  jasonseal 5th January 2010, 3:03 pm

I have a prob at the moment with marine deseases in my four footer and from the fish i have seen that you guys catch you must have heaps of eperience at keeping them

My tests all read very good from what i have been told on other forums and still there help has been nonaffective.

I have used the garlic and reef safe treatments and no good really,the white spot fades a little than comes back with a vengance each time,this time prety bad. Mad

I am really worried as i have some expensive fish in the aquarium and we are quite attached to a few as well.

I would appreciate any help that will get me out of this bind cheers

jasonseal

Back to top Go down

hey fellow aquarists,help!! Empty Re: hey fellow aquarists,help!!

Post  Admin 5th January 2010, 3:18 pm

Sorry you are having problems mate.

This is what you should do by the sounds of things.

Use some seachem ph 8.3 marine ph buffer while there are any out breaks.

Leave the lights and what normaly happens as per usual.

Make your temp suit the most expensive or favourite fish in the aquarium from now on,you know tropical or temperate.

Reduce the feeding frequency while there is an out break to some degree.

Get the product medic made by poly lab and follow the directions and use it at up to 3 times the recomended levels.

Get a ozonizer on the tank and use it permanatly for on going high quality results against parrasites.

I hope we can be of help with the info provded.mate.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonseal 5th January 2010, 3:24 pm

okay i have herd of the ozonizers but is this medic reef safe?

jasonseal

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin 5th January 2010, 3:31 pm

yes mate it is reef safe.
nothing you put in your aquarium to help against parrasites will afect inverts but this one seems to be very good and is quite easy on inverts.
oh and it helps ph stabilisation as well,cool product by what our members that have used it are reporting back.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonseal 5th January 2010, 3:37 pm

oh okay than.
I will start on your advice right now before i go to bed,i have that ph buffer already.
I wish i knew to use it at the start.

Thanks i will let you know on how this works,cheers. Very Happy

jasonseal

Back to top Go down

Post  clownsarescary 6th January 2010, 1:18 am

it really depends on what disease you have and what your long term plans are. If you are simply dealing with white spot i guess you have 2 options... try and keep the fish well fed and healthy and wait it out and hope that the outbreak dies down, keep up ozone or uv on the tank going into the future and cross your fingers for the best. I'd do this if I had many more fish to add to the tank... or no expensive fish in the tank.

Or you could properly treat the fish, remove ALL of them from the tank and place them in a quarantine tank (preferrably with blacked out sides, lower lighting and some areas to hide PVC fittings, clay pots ect). reduce the salinity to 1.011 over a few days and keep it there for at least 2 weeks syphoning from the bottom of the tank every day. Then slowely start to increase the salinity back up over 4 more weeks (giving your display the 6 weeks requied for the parasites to die out) until you have them back at the same salinity. Reintroduce the fish after 6 weeks.

If you have brook or the white spots are really small... like velvet... I'd be doing option 2 straight away... but including daily formalin dips and increased oxygen into the tank.

clownsarescary

Back to top Go down

Post  clownsarescary 6th January 2010, 1:24 am

Oh, the pH buffer will do nothing other than perhaps allow some thickening of the slime coat... parasites already do very well in the ocean at increased pH levels and there is no evidence that reducing pH can lead to increased prevalence of motile parasites.

If your pH is lower than 8 (not a particularly great situation) I'd suggest bringing it up very slow... a big change in pH often causes a fish to throw its slime coat which in the short term might make it look better... but after a day or two might make it easier for new parasites to attach to the unprotected scales underneath.

clownsarescary

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin 6th January 2010, 2:37 pm

The Ph bufffer is not for any of those things it is for the conditioning of the water that most marine tanks suffer with,i suppose than it is for the fishes slime coating benefit by reducing stress,especialy at nights end when the PH will be at its worst.

Quite a lot of the stress in marine aquariums is from Ph fluctuations when there is a large bio load on the system and an abundance of algae and symbiant situations incorporating algae within the cells of corals as such softening the water with extra co2 when the lights are not allowing any photo ops.

Its up to you as to what you do though taking live stock out of the tank as you may have been advised already will upset the stability of the aquarium,most certainly if the live rock is repositioned,that will upset the PH balance!

As they say mate horses for courses,if you can get them out,go for it but what caused the prob in the frist place is most likely still there when reintroducing live stock,good luck,the medic does work very well,in fact one of the clubbies is very impressed with conditioning elements of this additive,

see yah.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonseal 6th January 2010, 3:55 pm

Hey thanks muchly for the replies guys Very Happy
I got the treatment so i am giving it a try and will get back to you hopefuly not angry,lol.
Hey admin thanks for the reply to my pm on where to get it cheers

jasonseal

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara 7th January 2010, 1:08 pm

I have found uv helps also. I had my first outbreak of whitespot a few months ago and found my UV bulb had blown. I replaced the bulb at first opportunity (didn't have a spare on hand) and it cleared up after a few days. Unfortunately this was after I had lost a few fish :-(

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonseal 10th January 2010, 11:26 pm

Well guys I am impressed, the medic product worked a treat, thank you so much. Very Happy
The white spot is virtualy gone and the water quality is so much better for what I can see, that’s good stuff.
I used it as you said in high doses and didn’t bother with the PH buffer this time and it all went well.
I do have a small quarantine tank as all fish have gone through before introducing into the display tank so obviously that doesn’t do much for the long-term results in the tank environment.
Hey I saw that convo about web sites and had no idea this club even had one, so I have been having a look and except that it looks a little sad on firefox it is very informative, also very easy to understand and lots of simple navigating can be done in what is there.
Who did the freshwater pages, now they are ))))! Sorry.
I like that scuba and snorkelling page on our area.
I passed on a link to my stepbrother; he is into spear fishing and lives down on the goldie so would think he will like it.
I will keep watching your site guys, thanks again.
cheers

jasonseal

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin 10th January 2010, 11:38 pm

That was weird,your thread went from one user to another.

oh well this is the internet.

Hey mate could i get you to use no swear words at all if you could,i removed it and i know i seem like a prude but the other two of us that have the admin password as well adhere to that also,thanks mate.

Oh i am glad the medic worked for you,thats Marks advise,i am into external means of quarantine and treatment more so. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonseal 10th January 2010, 11:44 pm

I don't know what you mean,one user to another?
I will leave out the swear words,thats fine.
Thanks guys i am off to work,lucky me,lol.

jasonseal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down