South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line.

+2
DeadSled
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line. Empty Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line.

Post  Admin 27th February 2010, 1:01 pm

One of the guys went out for a fish with friends last week at Hutchison shoals as he had an operation and can not dive for six weeks.

They fished in water dead still with no current, hot weather, and 20 to 30 metres vis, just fishing, bummer!

This is just one of the common fish out there. Laughing

Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line. Tusk-
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line. Empty Re: Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line.

Post  DeadSled 27th February 2010, 4:02 pm

What is that exactly? Can this Hutchison Shoal area be snorkeled / collecting legally?
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line. Empty Re: Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line.

Post  Admin 28th February 2010, 1:11 am

The fish is a harlequin tusk (Lienardella fasciata) and the reef is 12 metres deep at the shallowest to a hundred metres deep and is very sharky and a long way out to sea north of moreton island, about 7 miles due north-north east.

Young experienced free divers will be out there at times and collecting is perfectly legal out there.

The reef out there has all the barrier reef has and some.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 28th February 2010, 4:06 am

Ah i thought it was one of those, wassn't sure.

Hey i was wondering the other night, seeing as the gold coast has been wiped out of all life, would that be the same at that spot up the coast that we went snorkeling at?
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 28th February 2010, 12:18 pm

The sunshine coast didn't get the rain the gold coast got and normally doesn't get affected in that way normally.

One spot may have been affected a little,but so far the club has not been taken there yet.

If there is a good day a trip to this spot will be in april as the conditions will suit it by then hopefuly,there are heaps of juvenile sailfin tangs there in 1 to 3 metres of water most years and some stupid semis as well. Laughing

One year after no rain for two years in the recent past drought the life there in so shallow water was so good it was down right weird?
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 28th February 2010, 12:19 pm

I really want to go back up the sunshine coast again, that place was pure awesome. I really want one of those black tangs as well I love you
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line. Empty Where?

Post  nick_s_h 9th April 2010, 3:33 pm

Whereabouts on the sunshine coast?
I live here and dont dive but wouldnt mind a snorkel, im setting up my 1st 3ft marine tank this week Very Happy
nick

nick_s_h

Back to top Go down

Post  ianqld 9th April 2010, 10:15 pm

Hi Nick

The club has posted a where to dive listing giving a break down from the Gold Coast to the Sunshine Coast.
http://www.aandtsociety.org.au/SEQ%20dive%20spots.htm

Club members organize a dive or snorkel at different places and pick an area depending on conditions.

Ian
ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line. Empty re dive locations s/e area

Post  shaz 10th April 2010, 3:00 am

Hi Ian
jsut checked out that site you put up for Nick --- very cool .. I have not checked this out myself in detail until now. and if you click on the actual place you want to dive you get a vid or a pic too. sweeet , thanx heaps for pointing this site out .... will be printing it out for sure.. to keep on hand !
btw---Who's idea was it to put this together ? excellent Smile just wandering though , do you think it safe on the web for all to see ..--- ? you know potential collecters going to all those amazing sites and jsut taking with out any experience or understanding of our ocean inviironment as such ..... Sad cheers

shaz

http://www.swanseabackpackers.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  ianqld 10th April 2010, 7:39 am

You are right Shaz it is a very good description, put together by local knowledge and years of experience.
I don't know who put it together but I would like to thank them. cheers

The club has posted a link to the sites on diving forums, that is how I found the club.
I was looking for places to do some shore diving and found the link.

The description gives good general information, but does not pinpoint any area so it will not encourage excessive harvesting.

The special areas are only shown to members, because if they were put on the web they would not be special for long.
ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Quality aquarium fish gotten on line-fishing line. Empty re dive locations

Post  shaz 10th April 2010, 9:41 am

thanx for that Ian makes me feel more at ease sunny . i am very passionate about our invironment -- and our ocean is so precious . the guys in the club are onto it and get excellent guidance so that is fine ,, just in general i was meaning .. i am a club member like yourself, and have been given some co--ords for when i am up there , but would not disclose them to anyone that is not conected to the club for those very reasons you also have described . whoever put that info/description together i feel should be known as they have done a brill job .
---Smile

shaz

http://www.swanseabackpackers.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin 10th April 2010, 2:14 pm

Ianqld knows what he is talking about.

The reference page made and put on the net linked to the clubs website was made over a four month time frame.
Several not well known spots have been left out for very good reasons and none of these spots have descriptions of what is actually there or near by in relation to aquarium collecting species for very good reasons as well.
All the spots are well known to us and what is there and when it is there.
The club tries to represent the south east so it was done to noosa heads and no more in much detail though double island point to Bargara are old stamping grounds as well.

The page was to enhance our club that was painfully slow to get on the net to not be just an old and wise aquarium club but to show we are into many things marine and beyond just the hobby to achieve in this world of hight tech aquarium keeping of which many of us are into as well something a little better and more interesting!

The hobby of marine aquarium keeping with in the club is very successful and we can also boast that we are very familiar with where our aquarium pets come from and how it all works out there and share some of that knowledge with others.
Plus the page was designed as a bit of a touristy thing as well for the south east to show how good we have it here that many will not let on about or do not know and share false information to cover them selves.

The basic direction of this page is for the safe and mainly shallow spots for all to find easily though the deep ones are there as well.

The page was a lot of work and there is a lot of local knowledge gone into it to make it interesting and helpful, to a point.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down