South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of Going Marine

5 posters

Go down

Thinking of Going Marine Empty Thinking of Going Marine

Post  Guest 12th March 2010, 12:04 pm

Hello guys.

I am just after a rough price you guys think it'll cost me to setup a brand new 4x2x2 marine aquarium, FOWLR style, with a sump for filteration (3' sump?).

Cheers.

Back to top Go down

Thinking of Going Marine Empty Re: Thinking of Going Marine

Post  Admin 12th March 2010, 12:19 pm

Mate,the permissions were not enabled on this section when you came on line as we were doing some maintenance so you have no membership on the forum.

Can you please register straight away so replies can be sent to you and we have at some idea of where you are from.

Your original post was to be locked and than removed a little later,but lets see what ayone has to say on pricing as such.

cheers
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DeadSled 13th March 2010, 12:27 pm

Basic setup..

Last i checked a 48x18x20 was 125 or so, a 3ft sump tank will be something around 90? maybe.. not sure. Check out www.aquariumsrus.com.au it has prices on there.

Then you'll need a return pump, some plumbing.. bulkhead.. skimmer.. live rock.. lights it'll probably cost you about 600 to setup at the very least.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 14th March 2010, 12:11 pm

Well for starters I disagree with a tank based more or less solely on live rock for the aquariums biological, but for just a few fish it will do I suppose.
Firstly I would think a cheap tank of that size 4+2+2 would be at least $100 to $200 by a tank builder and second hand much cheaper.
For a fish only tank,t8 standard lighting is all that is needed so around $120 to $150 for a two tube fitting.
A return pump for that filter (sump) is around $90 for an aqua clear 1800 litre pump, they used to be called an 802, always use a good pump like this for your main return pump.
Use two circulating pumps in tank for current, maybe $60 to $120 for each of those, make sure each can do no less than 3000 litres an hour.
A skimmer and pump at ariund $250 is good if you want to reduce water changes as well.
For anything else like, remote deep sand bed, scallop cut to tank for spillway or drilling tank and pre filter and all sump related workings, we make our own.
If you are near by the club meets at Woodridge, if not join the forum you will see the aandtsociety forum sections for forum members only and get some in depth pics and building tips, it is very easy to build most of your marine set up your self.
When you need some elec equip for this check (age of aquariums) prices against the others and go from there.
Very Happy
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg+ 14th March 2010, 12:22 pm

If you want to just do fish only there is a way to build a reverse flow under gravel bio filter based on air uplifts if that is an option for you coming from freshwater, if that’s what you have been into up until now.

The substrate remains perfectly clean always and you do not need power heads, water pumps.

You could make your light fittings with materials from places like ideal lighting and buy your aquarium fluro tubes from there as well.

There is a tank builder we know that is quite cheap as well.

liquidg+

Back to top Go down

Post  ianqld 14th March 2010, 2:57 pm

I got my 4ft aquarium from the Caboolture Markets, there is a guy there who makes lots of different sizes.

I agree with Deadsled to set up on the cheap is going to cost around $600, this includes main tank, sump tank, pump, heater, skimmer and light.
To setup at the other end of the market could cost a small mortgage.

Another good place to look is Ebay, for Aquariums and pumps. There is always someone who is selling used aquariums and it could save a fortune.

Come along to one of the meetings and talk to the members, they have lots of experience and could save you from making costly mistakes. I know a few things I done on my first aquarium I would do different now.
ianqld
ianqld

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down