South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking Of Doing A Jetty Tank..

2 posters

Go down

Thinking Of Doing A Jetty Tank.. Empty Thinking Of Doing A Jetty Tank..

Post  DeadSled 14th July 2009, 5:21 am

So, basically i did a water change on my 3ft freshwater tank yesterday and realised how boring it looks (one green terror cichlid, one free rainbow and two clown loaches) and after talking with a mate a long time ago about doing a tank that looks like a jetty underwater.. i'm finally thinking of doing it.

I want the tank to resemble what you'd see, if you were to look at a jetty underwater, side on. Basically all you'll see in the tank is a plank at the top of the tank barely out of water.. and a couple of pillars. I'd have a thin base that the pillars would be connected to with small dowels, and then sand would cover over that.

My question for now is.. I'm sure that i'd want to use hardwood for the jetty pillars, would that be correct? Or would there be something that would be better off using instead?

My Freshwater tank has a log in it, and for the past year at least.. its been constantly leaking tannins into the water. I was told yesterday at the LFS that tannins affect the pH level, would using a skimmer be sufficient in removing the tannins (if hardwood leaks any at all) before it makes the water go tea coloured?
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Thinking Of Doing A Jetty Tank.. Empty decorating

Post  ashleyt 14th July 2009, 7:27 am

I am into in Decorating and I would like to se what you mean by the jetty look. Very Happy
It sounds very earthy and that’s me for sure.
I definitely do not know any of the answers to your questions, I am just keen to see the end result,pics please!

ashleyt

Back to top Go down

Thinking Of Doing A Jetty Tank.. Empty Re: Thinking Of Doing A Jetty Tank..

Post  DeadSled 14th July 2009, 9:31 am

Uhh.. I don't think it'll be "earthy" by any means.. and i'm definately not into the whole tacky fake look of fish tanks.

This on the other hand, even though it's something i've never seen done before (i just LOVE to push the envelope that tad bit further..) i still believe it will be realistic looking, and not tacky or fake.

I'll be asking some of the guys at the meeting tonight to see what their opinions are.
DeadSled
DeadSled

Back to top Go down

Thinking Of Doing A Jetty Tank.. Empty Re: Thinking Of Doing A Jetty Tank..

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down