South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium.

2 posters

Go down

Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium. Empty Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium.

Post  liquidg 31st October 2011, 8:26 am

After all these years you would think I would know better than to put a clarkii amphiprion into a small tank!

So far it has made the banana wrasse jump out and died, nearly killed the mimic tang, killed my ever so harmless femininus wrasse,killed a lysmata red lined shrimp, chases everything and just started hurting its partner the latezonatus I caught it with from the ocean.

A few days back I bought my first shop fish in years in ready for getting the clarkii out and gone.

Aquarium warehouse is where I go to get cheap fish,they had ocelaris and perculas for $15 each,good price and of course really quarantine them from there and marine mates before you put them into the tank,actualy from any where do it and I do not mean just put it in a tank, that’s just silly and useless, I mean have a treatment going in the quarantine tank,tub,bucket,what ever at part strength and raise it to four times the recomended levels as if the fish is full on coated in parasites.

Three days in cupramine and broad spectrum fresh water treatment with it and balanced PH taking the temp down to 21c slowly and getting it used to my types of foods.

Than its walk past the tank after already deciding I will change them over one day and i see that useless lump of a fish picking on its partner, that was it, fishing time!!

In the distant past I have used a length of timber dowel with a fine pointed needle in the end of it to not disturb the live rock and destabilise the PH by moving the dead coral/live rock to harpoon the troublesome fish.

This moron didn’t need that style of removal, no food for a day and a tiny hook on a line with a tiny bit of lobster meat on the very point of the hook or if you like squid works well and it took half a second as it pushed the others away to get the food first.

Now its been demoted back to the tub where it was for a time.

If any one has some high quality freshwater flake food or marine flake food I will swap for a can of that, nothing else, if you want this moron!

This my home made rod,a rusty old bucket handle.

Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium. Rod-

The clown hooked on the line once caught.

Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium. Clown-caught-

The clarkii back in the tub.

Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium. Clown-i-tube-

The lat and ocelaris happy together,lats are so easy going clowns.

Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium. Clowns-together-

Every one has accepted the ocelaris.

Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium. Fish-in-tank-

A water change and some extra salt for a few days while the clowns mouth heals and good as gold.

Last edited by liquidg on 1st November 2011, 2:38 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium. Empty Re: Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium.

Post  finfan 31st October 2011, 10:55 pm

Ha haaaaaaaaa - catching him fishing in your tank -cracker.......

I suppose it worked, just sounds funny - I would catch a 8kg snapper on that outfit.......... Rolling Eyes

As kids we would get our lego people and sit them on the side of our outdoor gold fish pond, catch some garden worms and tie them with a piece of cotton to a small stick, place this in there hand like a small fishing rod and wait until they got ripped in - it was hilarious ....... no play stations back then.......

Q : do you find the banana wrasse on outings or that flame / clown wrasse or shrimp? They look awesome......

finfan

Back to top Go down

Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium. Empty Re: Removing fish from a marine reef aquarium.

Post  liquidg 1st November 2011, 2:50 am

It does sound funny,i must admit,though there is no tail of the one that got away,after a long tiring fight ,of half a second,it was done,lol.

You see it isnt that much of a drama in my tank compared to ones relying on bio media being their live rock,i could move it as the external filtering does all my bio filtering,but if you can never move the live rock!

Except for the ocelaris,everything in my tank is from my collection here in the south east,i dont have a flame angel though,thats a shop fish and they can be a pain with soft corals and the orange and green sunburst types.

There are many other wonderful fish species out there,but not suited to my tank or what i want to do,i see them and that looks nice and keep going.

There are rare and endemic anthias,angelfish and two types of wrasse,they stand out especialy,but not for my tank,the lat is as far as i will go with conditions dependant species!

Than there is 90 percent of what is found on the barrier reef out here,sparse in comparison,but they are all there with lots of looking around and in certain flow areas and proper habitats,you find them.

The bit that ticks me off with fish of late,is about the weekend collecting, i found two pyjama wrasse and forgot to go back and get one after a food and cuppa break,my wife is not impressed,they are one of her favourites. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  finfan 1st November 2011, 10:21 am

Im with your wife - how could you forget those little beauties, they are the next thing I really want preferably a pair.....

I can't wait to catch up with you guys and chat about your experiences with the keeping of different fish/coral combos, there is so much to learn.....

Everything looks excellent in your set up _ keep the updates coming..
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 1st November 2011, 1:17 pm

It’s always good to see new faces at meetings as with any club ignobolis.

So many people mate are directed at complex and expensive toys for the aquarium and it is so simple, so very simple!

You watch the ocean and it’s mechanisms and it teaches you what is needed and of course if you can talk to a professional that has spent real time in the field of marine biology that is not a nut case in some way and I do not mean information on fish and corals they are very, very easy as always with health, I mean the real back bone of not just the marine/ocean/aquarium system but what the whole planet has relied on since the beginning of life here,photosynthetic life forms!
Now we have the absolutely mind blowing simplistic LEDs,check mate!!

The LEDs have proved what many of us were labelled stupid for believing that UVR is not good for corals,now all those interesting types are clinginng still to the food warming halides,sure for deep water they are great,but for the first two feet of water in an aquarium with the use of high out put LEDs the corals are better off with out them!

Those silly halide food cooking/street lights and the equally short life tubes for the home aquarium are dead and gone, halleluiah!!

Finally there is nothing that is hard or has to be worked around with marine aquariums any more.

It’s just a shame I didn’t do a large aquarium with these wonderful LEDs,the natural waste management system I make and extremely simple home made, one food feeds all aquarium life forms to show how easy it is to have totally successful large or small reef aquariums.

Mate so much of the net is run by sponsorship, opinions and disorders its just not funny.

I got on the net originally and I had no idea what the net was, because a friend said what a particular Aus dominating forum was all about and I set out to be annoying and have a bit of fun and watch the looney tunes come out of the woodwork, plus thought after a while I would promote the club in direct opposition in the mean time, no go, just like smoking, drugs, pokies, all types of pollution and insanity, that site and with these are all deeply imbedded, mainly because of time, some interesting wording and sponsorship!

For marine aquarium shops mostly, these types of groups are a godsend!

The way I achieve my hobby was learnt by many hard yards and the Q museum passing me onto some very help full non looney grass roots marine biologists and you can ask most any one on these types of forums on what I do and you will get the responses, its crap, can’t work or, what’s that????lol,lol,lol!

Don’t follow what I do in any way, it has very little to do with purchases from aquarium shops, oh sorry,LFS/life for sale, where the hell did they get that crap from?

INAC,I need a cuppa,AWST,and watch some tele,lol,lol,lol.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down