South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help on filtration please guys.

4 posters

Go down

Help on filtration please guys. Empty Help on filtration please guys.

Post  reefadicted 25th January 2012, 9:53 am

Hi all,could I get some advice on types of filtration for my next nano reef tank.
This time it will be mostly corals,acropora more than anything and the lighting is led from ebay,I have a chiller ready to go for it and the dimensions are 450 long by 400 deep and 500 high.
What do you all recommend as the boil filter for it?

reefadicted

Back to top Go down

Help on filtration please guys. Empty Re: Help on filtration please guys.

Post  finfan 25th January 2012, 3:37 pm

Hi Mate

You have so many options to choose from, all of which will work to some degree and all of which are good -but you really need to answer that yourself - there is not straight answer - I mean what's your skills at building like, how much space do you have, can you access good water for regular changes , do you want to buy a set and forget type of thing or manage your own build?

I would suggest you check out some of the other set ups on this site and google nano setups and you will see what I mean -wow there are some options....just try to learn about the different types of'filteration others use with inhabitants you like too and choose the one you think will be most suited to your wants, skills, budget etc

Sorry its not a straight up definitive answer - but I think half the fun in this great hobby of ours is the learning.....

Good luck and please keep us posted on your choices - will be great to see your set up and ideas - its all good!

Just my 20 c worth....
Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 28th January 2012, 8:05 am

That’s quite true, there are so many options for biological filtration!!!

The best way is to not do it in the aquarium; the live rock should be as a back up for bio filtration not most of it and no substrate at all.

Something like a canister filter with only calcium media in and very clean pre filtered water before it and you will have taken care of all nitrites nicely and if you design the placement of the this calcium media properly in there it will reduce nitrate as well.

If room is a problem use something like a canister filter shape with something activated with in the help with water quality control at the return pump!

Have a look in the aquarium journal section, there may be a couple of ideas there for you or private message and I will send a full description of what you can make to give you near perfect aquarium water with you purchasing a little skimmer to help out.

Have a look around for a small skimmer with a pinwheel of needle wheel function that will do up to a max of 300 litres, that’s heaps!

Back to top Go down

Post  Crotalus 28th January 2012, 2:06 pm

You could look at using a small airstone driven protein skimmer. They can often fit in smaller spaces and there are at least two decent brands that make them as well as some poor quality brands, so read reviews before buying anything. The advantage to nanos is that waterchanges are really easy. With mine I just take a large cup of water out every morning and replace it with new. It takes about 30 seconds. Makes filtration less of an issue.

Crotalus

Back to top Go down

Post  reefadicted 28th January 2012, 3:01 pm

Thanks guys for the advice, some food for thought Very Happy

reefadicted

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down