South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW TANK BUILD

2 posters

Go down

NEW TANK BUILD Empty NEW TANK BUILD

Post  Bretto 22nd April 2013, 7:48 am

Hi Guys

Got some new qustions on setup of a tank i bought over the weekend - had a chance to buy a 8 x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2ft which came with a skimmer (unable to identify at this point - its about 800mm in height with a 400mm dia chamber and has 4X3000l/h pumps attached built by reef octopuss) it came with 2 overflow weirs, 1 in each corner so since I busted the bottom trying to move it ( 3 ppl really can't lift 400kg of glass lol) I was thinking of creating a weir at one end with a similar setup to a beananimal with 2 stand pipes & emergency overflow - 750ish skim. I've decided to place the tank between my office and entry so it will display front to back.

My question is the returns - im looking at getting a 4-way ocean motion pump with the 1-3 & 2-4 baffle in a closed loop but i have reservations as to the flow, will this cancel out flow? dont really wont to add power heads if i dont need too. was thinking to put 2 returns on weir side down low & 2 returns up higher on other side up higher..

Bretto

Back to top Go down

NEW TANK BUILD Empty Re: NEW TANK BUILD

Post  finfan 22nd April 2013, 1:13 pm

Huh..... confused

Why would it cancel it out? The only challenge I see will be balancing the exits flow from the top and bottom exits but ball valves make that a pretty simple job.

Sorry but maybe I've missed something.....sounds very cool to me....photos , photos, photos Shocked

You could get a really good current flow in that bad boy....eliminating just about any dead spots and creating tidal influences inside the tank - awesome cheers

This should be good.

Cool

finfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Bretto 23rd April 2013, 3:08 am

no you didn't miss anything, I have done some further research and you kinda need the returns or even power heads interacting with each other to allow for turbulance as i understand it. So my previous thoughts are all wrong lol. Still trying to get my head around the flow stuff Smile. Thanks for the reply though and when i start the build i will post up some pictures and ofcourse lots and lots of questions.

Bretto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down