South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quarantine advice please

3 posters

Go down

Quarantine advice please Empty Quarantine advice please

Post  mitchl 28th July 2011, 3:22 am

Just looking for some ideas on how to build or buy a quarantine tank.
I have bought three fish recently and all had white spot so the tank had to be treated, lost two and saved one.
The thing is the plan is to build up a reef tank.
I have seen some threads around on the forums on this and being from Brisbane found this forum after looking at the societies website.
For me it’s the same with businesses, I stay local if I can.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated

mitchl

Back to top Go down

Quarantine advice please Empty Re: Quarantine advice please

Post  Dazza 29th July 2011, 11:55 am

Hey Mitchl
There are so many ways to set up and develop a quarantine addition to your tank.
You could buy a small aquarium and put on a self-contained skimmer filter, even an in tank filter would do,than there are some small aquariums with built in filters.
I like a starter sized canister filter on a two-foot aquarium,that worked well for me.
Just put in the quarantine tank some pieces of pvc storm pipe for the treated fish to hide in, don’t use any coral or porus material of any kind.
I use just one good quality fluorescent tube over mine to get some light on the fish while in treatment, just a few hours per day.
You need a half treatment amount of cupramine or what ever in your quarantine tank at all times ready to treat sick fish and once they are in use up to 4 times the recommended amounts bringing it up over 24 hours.
Plus some anti fungal and water conditioner, I use cupramine and freshwater broad spectrum treatment for my treatment tank along with keeping the KH at a constant 8 to 12 and your fish will treat well.
White spot on average multiplies every 48 hours and velvet at 10 days.
Hope it goes well.

Dazza

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchl 29th July 2011, 3:03 pm

Thank you for that,do you need a skimmer on a quarantine aquarium?

mitchl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitiara 30th July 2011, 3:07 am

Quarantine tanks can be pretty much anything inert that holds water, some use plastic tubs for doing it on a budget. My Quarantine tank is an old 60L all in one tank with overhead filter. My tank's lighting hood is missing and I don't normally bother about lighting the tank except for feeding times. Most of the time the tank sits empty but I leave the filter sponges in the sump of my main tank so when I buy a fish I just need to fill the tank (mix of new salt water and water from the main tank) and move the filter media over and it is ready to go.

Remember if you keep your filter media ready this way to rinse it in tank water regularly, it's normally easiest do this when you do a water change.

You don't need a skimmer for a quarantine tank, just do a water change more often than you would normally do. Medications don't do well with skimmers, some make the skimmer go crazy. Skimmers can also take out some of the medication.

Kitiara

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchl 2nd August 2011, 1:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice Very Happy
The way you did will do me,i'll start looking for a second hand set up and do it the same way.
Is cupramine? the better treatment or is there something better to get.

mitchl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down