South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Decorator crabs,a bit out of the ordinary!

2 posters

Go down

Decorator crabs,a bit out of the ordinary! Empty Decorator crabs,a bit out of the ordinary!

Post  liquidg 25th August 2011, 6:01 am

Over the years with in our diverse collecting experiences the one thing that keeps me in particular interested beyond just my love of the ocean in general is that special something found from time to time on our collecting trips.

One of two life forms of the same species that are just that little bit more interesting than the many thousands of fish and inverts we get to see and the few we catch for the aquariums is firstly a certain decorator crab that uses corals,this one was found around 7 years ago and as with most life forms that are a little special,to this day I can remember the exact spot with in a metre of where it was collected, because it is as you will see,it's very special.

I gave it away as i do with most things collected.

Decorator crabs,a bit out of the ordinary! Wit019

This one was collected very recently and has already pulled a part some of my sponge and algae for it's decorations(camouflaged)!

Decorator crabs,a bit out of the ordinary! Decorator-crab-

This the same one once it changed it's decorations.

Decorator crabs,a bit out of the ordinary! Crab-with-spong-

We see a decorator crab at least every time we go collecting,but these two were a bit more special than most with their decorating skills.

Back to top Go down

Decorator crabs,a bit out of the ordinary! Empty Re: Decorator crabs,a bit out of the ordinary!

Post  trent@78 25th August 2011, 3:02 pm

Very cool,never herd of them Very Happy
Keep the photos coming guys,always good to stop in here.
cheers

trent@78

Back to top Go down