South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

yellow tipped hermit crabs eat corals?

4 posters

Go down

yellow tipped hermit crabs eat corals? Empty yellow tipped hermit crabs eat corals?

Post  clevelandcallum 26th September 2011, 12:50 am

hi guys, well i have a few of these little critters in the tank and im now beginning to wonder if i should take them out as i start to add corals to the tank
has anyone had any experience with these guys damaging corals or not ?

scientific name Clibanarius virescens ( yellow tip legged hermit crab)
thanks
callum

clevelandcallum

Back to top Go down

yellow tipped hermit crabs eat corals? Empty Re: yellow tipped hermit crabs eat corals?

Post  liquidg 26th September 2011, 4:14 am

The one you have sounds like the local one we find in massive numbers at some spots, we catch them when needed for part of the trendy term, clean up crew.

Yesterdays trip had tons of the little beggears.

The little yellow claws are completely harmless while not able to up grade to a larger shell of no more than 3 to 10 mill.

Hermits do not eat corals, well not the yellow claws and the local ones we get any way!

They do annoy them sometimes by climbing over the corals or trying to steal food from them, but not actually eat the polyps flesh.

The yellow claw is the best of the hermits for eating all algaes, including the symbiotic algae/bacteria like the slimy red algae, just don’t leave larger shells in the aquarium for them to up grade, all hermits and other crabs are veracious killers of the more harmless fish and tube worms once big enough, but while small, good cleaners.

Hermits are opotunists,if they can get it, they will eat it, they follow the scent of your fishes butt and attack that part at night, not the little yellow claws!

If no other food is available they eat the stuff nothing else will eat, rotting waste, slimy and all low profile average algae’s.

If any one has had a bad experience with them,add it to this thread!

Back to top Go down

yellow tipped hermit crabs eat corals? Empty Re: yellow tipped hermit crabs eat corals?

Post  trent@78 26th September 2011, 3:59 pm

I have had them,awsome clean up crew cheers

trent@78

Back to top Go down

Post  Kate 27th September 2011, 1:42 am

Where do you get these hermits guys,is there a place you find them or aquarium shop that carries them i could use use a good clean up crew for my aquarium as well bounce

Kate

Back to top Go down

Post  clevelandcallum 28th September 2011, 12:29 am

pet superstore in capalaba had alot int he display tank that they will sell you, not sure where you can find them though, wouldnt mind finding out either

clevelandcallum

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down