South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it?

4 posters

Go down

Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it? Empty Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it?

Post  roy s 21st April 2009, 12:40 pm

I have heard one or two things about this substance in relation to use in a marine aquariums as being very successful in treating some diseases.
What if anything, do you guys know about it and have any of you used it?
Anything you can pass on would be great.

cheers

roy s

Back to top Go down

Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it? Empty join the club

Post  carmen 21st April 2009, 12:45 pm

I have had no luck in finding any one that knows more than a bit about this treatment!
My brother in law has a friend that is a pharmacist and can get it easily,what does it do?
He has said it has long term side affects in the use in humans? Rolling Eyes

carmen

Back to top Go down

Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it? Empty humans?

Post  roy s 21st April 2009, 12:49 pm

Thats strange and the net hasn't been much help to me.
Why would humans use aquarium treatments?

roy s

Back to top Go down

Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it? Empty chloroquine

Post  Admin 21st April 2009, 1:12 pm

Hi Roy and Carmen.
This may be a little help.
It is going on the website in few days.
(Chloroquine)
Formula C18H26ClN3
This was originally a treatment developed for use on malaria in humans and is based on chloroquine phosphate and has a half life of one to two months.
The use of this is not as popular as previously for the treatment of malaria as the parasite has developed immunity to it in most strains.
Chloroquine is a 4-aminoquinoline drug, this means it is a form of aminoquinoline, a part of the amino group at 4-position of the quinoline, a heterocyclic aromatic organic compound.
Originally used in the treatment of malaria, it was able to stop the malaria from entering the red blood cells to degrade hemoglobin to acquire essential amino acids.
The malaria parasite needed these amino acids to construct its own protein and maintain essential energy metabolism.
For the parasite this was essential for growth and division inside the red blood cell. This is carried out within the parasites cell in the digestive vacuole.
A recently popular practice with the drug has been the treatment of parasites with in the marine aquarium aquarists sector.
Though not a drug designed for this application, it has had wide spread positive results for the inhibiting of most marine aquarium internal and external parasites and general infections.
The drugs greatest benefit here is that it is easily diluted with minimal water changes greatly reducing its intensity for its removal once treatment is complete, thus being far simpler and less detrimental to biological communities rather than applying copper sulphate based treatments.

Personaly i prefer oodenex or similar and a copper test kit to carry out pest treatments in the aquarium.

A few of us, to this day make our own oodinium cures based on copper sulphate we buy from the chemist and add certain things to make it work quite cheaply and remain active for the required length of time.

Admin

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down

Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it? Empty treatments

Post  carmen 22nd April 2009, 1:43 pm

hey,whats this about cupramine on the website.

It sounds like the club likes how it works? Smile

carmen

Back to top Go down

Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it? Empty both are good

Post  cetacean- 22nd April 2009, 1:48 pm

I have used chloroquine and had no probs.
The old school way of using copper is still far better for the at home hobbiest.
Cupramine is copper based with mod cons and i hear it does its job well.
If you are going to quarantine properly and have it ready always for those new additions and mistakes,copper is the way to go! cheers

cetacean-

Back to top Go down

Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it? Empty Re: Chloroquine?do you guys know anything about it?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down