South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scorp. tank for a newby

3 posters

Go down

Scorp. tank for a newby Empty Scorp. tank for a newby

Post  tuscanpistoia 27th July 2012, 7:21 am

Hi All, I'm new to the aquarium hobby and to the forum. I've decided it would be best to get advice from those in the know before I start running out and emptying my bank account. I want to set up a FOWLR tank predominantly for some Scorps and Macroalgae. At present I'm interested in keeping a zebra or dwarf fuzzy lionfish (can we get the latter in Queensland?) and maybe a bottom dwelling scorp or two (any recommendations, I find the inimicus sp. and Choridactylus sp. very appealing) as well as a marine betta (feelings, comments) and other things along the way depending on what comes up.

What does everyone think about tank dimensions, filter capacities, availability/suitability of tank-mates along. I'm also interested to hear any thoughts or feelings people have about such a set-up for a newby. I'm well aware that I should take it slow, let bio-filters develop etc. But I want to know what people in the Australian community feel before I spend $$$.

tuscanpistoia

Back to top Go down

Scorp. tank for a newby Empty to easy

Post  Makaira 27th July 2012, 9:34 am

hey champ,
im running a very narrow/ shallow 6ft tank that has a locally collected zebra lionfish, he is about 3 inchs long. however i think he would be happy enough in a 4 or 3 ft tank with the same dimensions
zebs are great aslong as the rest of your fish arent to small or slow.

i think aslong as you have enough water volume to keep the bioload down and give him a reasonable amount off swimming room and caves to chill out in ull be fine.

i made heaps of caves for mine. but i dont think ive seen him in one once. lol.
hes a bit of a show pony. and often begs for food even when he gets fed more than regulary.

with any predator fish, i would go a protein skimmer of some discription but thats just my personal opinion.

and definatly and the lionfish after a few other fish have been established in the tank
else hes guna want to show them whos boss.

Makaira
Makaira

Back to top Go down

Scorp. tank for a newby Empty Re: Scorp. tank for a newby

Post  liquidg 27th July 2012, 10:16 am

Hi tuscanpistoia,good to have you on here.

I would agree with Scott on size of potential tank for the purpose you have described.

The only problem with macro algae is that you are best with two large areas with the lights on over each, off set to the other.

You see when your lights are off,the algae will begin to disrupt your PH and lower your water quality,if there is algae else where, in a properly designed refugium with the lights on,this will import the other algae’s out put,giving your water stability.

Nothing conditions your water better then caulerpa algae and will do away with the need for a skimmer, especially a few variations of it in each area, each one will achieve a little some thing the other one can not.

Live rock as bio filter media is okay, not great for a lot of fish though, its potential bio surface area is limited, intitialy and even more so later on.

If your load is slight and you have caulerpa algae in abundance, you will have very good success.

Just remember, to oxidise the nitrite cycle quickly, there has to be adequate surface area to house your bacterium and later on a diverse community of protists.

Also there has to be 3 times the external surface area of internal surface area, as in live rock or with in a clean substrate.

Nitrate is oxidised roughly by three times the area that the aerobic nitrite oxidizers need in comparison and all of that has to be of no light at all and oxygen depleted so these forms of anaerobic bacteria can survive.

The zebra, dwarf, volitans, anntenatta and lunula scorpion fish,are all common here.

These are the common ones here.
https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1291-lion-fish

cheers
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Scorp. tank for a newby Empty Re: Scorp. tank for a newby

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down