South East Queensland Marine Aquarium and Ocean activities Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noisy weir and micro bubbles in tank

3 posters

Go down

Noisy weir and micro bubbles in tank Empty Noisy weir and micro bubbles in tank

Post  Tony Sunshine Coast 6th September 2012, 5:00 am

Hi Guys,
I have a weir in my tank with this setup, it works well but makes a little noise and causes micro bubbles in tank.
I removed it and inserted a block of filter sponge in weir and it stoped the the noise and bubbles ,the tank looked great for a couple of weeks But as the sponge clogged with rubbish the flow was restricted and the tank level slowly rose and overflowed. Is there another way of making my weir work with out the noise and micro bubbles and not over flow.
My WIFE would really appreciate your help as 10 litres of salt water on the carpet in the lounge didn't go over too well (It could save my marrage lol.)

Noisy weir and micro bubbles in tank IMG042

Tony
Tony Sunshine Coast
Tony Sunshine Coast

Back to top Go down

Noisy weir and micro bubbles in tank Empty Re: Noisy weir and micro bubbles in tank

Post  saltz 6th September 2012, 5:27 am

saltz

Back to top Go down

Noisy weir and micro bubbles in tank Empty Re: Noisy weir and micro bubbles in tank

Post  liquidg 6th September 2012, 6:37 am

Is it a syphon set up?

If it’s a pipe exiting water over the top of it type of over flow,you could use a small coke bottle but this is neater,you can cut up a short length of conduit say, two sizes in diameter larger so it fits over the original pipe with lots of movement and cut this pipe to say 8 inches long.

Drill heaps of holes in this pipe, heat one end of it to squeeze it tight over the exit pipe at one end so the gap is equal between that pipe and the other as it fits over the original, for water to flow between the two pipes.

Put in a couple of bits of pvc or silicon blobs at the top so it remains an even gap between the two pipes at the top as well but lets heaps of water over flow into the pipe.

Finish holes or angle grinder cuts 5 mill from the top of this pipe slip over and seal up the top,maybe glue on some other pvc or just use silicon to fill it, making sure the sealed top can not slide down and seal the over flow off.

Wrap some filter wool around it and rubber band at top and bottom.

Make a nice sock out of some good filter wool later when time to just take off every now and then to wash and slip back over flow pipe, you now have pre filtering and silencing, if it is a pipe that your water exits through!

You could add a small section of pipe off the back at the top as a fail safe if the filter wool becomes full,to still direct the sucking sounds at the back of the tank, this would compensate for when you go away for holidays or what ever.

This can be done far neater but I don’t have the time to explain a sleeve and packing for this now.

Like a said there are a thousand ways to fix your problem very easily, even if it isn’t a pipe over flow, the other ways are even easier to fix!

If your micro bubbles are coming in with the return pump waters, it is in your sump, the return pump is picking up bubbles down there and chopping them up into far smaller bubbles and then up to your tank.

Another issue could be the air is a result of your return waters being to close to the surface and picking up bubbles, but it is nearly always a pump chopping them up either in tank and at the sump that makes micro bubbles.

I had to fix this with my sump area to lessen the micro bubbles.

cheers
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Sunshine Coast 7th September 2012, 2:42 am

I have a durso standpipe identicle to the one in dentrobate,s link, I will try the air hose inside it as suggested in link for now but I need to get my head around liquidg,s idea as I dont have a pre filter in place and it sounds important to have one. I will keep reading liguidg,s idea until I get the gist of it, dont quite understand the part about heat and squeeze tight over exit pipe so equal gap between that pipe and other ( a little slow on uptake some times.)

I will extend the inlet pipe and see if it helps with micro bubbles

Thanks Tony
Tony Sunshine Coast
Tony Sunshine Coast

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Sunshine Coast 7th September 2012, 5:28 am

Air hose inside Durso standpipe didn't work , have changed existing filter pads for a carbo pad and has stopped micro bubbles yay, realised the filter pads I had were too fine and the water ran over rather than through them. and didn,t catch the bubbles and wasn,t filtering properly either. I think I understand liquidg,s idea, am currently working on that.
Tony Sunshine Coast
Tony Sunshine Coast

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 9th September 2012, 6:42 am

Have a look at this Tony, I just made this up and put it on, it may not be suitable for your needs, I don’t know.

Its rough but who ever looks at it,I hope will get the meaning.

Will put in some words later on, no time at the moment.

https://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1492-diy-pre-filter-for-aquarium-over-flow-pipes
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Tony Sunshine Coast 9th September 2012, 6:59 am

Thanks for your efforts, I do appreciate your help and I understand how to make now
Tony
Tony Sunshine Coast
Tony Sunshine Coast

Back to top Go down

Post  liquidg 9th September 2012, 7:36 am

Tony we have met you several times, you seem like a true hobbyist,as far as we can tell you respect the logical ways of collection and you have done nothing to annoy any of us, so any help that can be given, will be!

Good luck with it Tony,see yah. cheers
liquidg
liquidg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down